Please help! Something is VERY wrong!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LindseyM12, Apr 4, 2011.

1. LindseyM12

LindseyM12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    Saturday I noticed my hen was limping a little bit. Sunday she couldn't walk on one leg. Today she can't walk at all. And now there is another hen, she cant walk, she is breathing really heavy and she looks dead. [​IMG] I REALLY bad need help! Thanks!

2. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    What do the legs look like? Like anything weird on them or do they look weird?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  3. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    Any chance they got moldy food?

4. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    how old are they? in a young hen it could be Marke's disease, a viral infection. In an older hen leg paralysis can be from a vitamin deficiency mostly vit. B12 and E, you can add it to her food for a few weeks, no matter what she has the vitamins would help give her strenght. you could add some electrolyte solution to her water for added strenght also. if there is a breathing problem they may have a respoiratory problem, isolate the sick hen from the others

5. LindseyM12

May 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    The legs look fine, I don't think its bumble foot. I got food from a different place a couple days before it started. It had little balls of food in it. Maybe it got wet? They are less than a year old. The second one died. [​IMG] The 1st one seems fine but it seems like her legs are paralyzed. Thanks for all the help!

6. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Quote:Sounds like it got wet and molded. [​IMG] Did it smell funny?

Switch feeds or buy a new bag(maybe not from the same place...)

7. SparkyCrows

SparkyCrows Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2010
    Kansas
    How awful! I'm so sorry you lost a bird. Hope your other hen is able to recover!

8. LindseyM12

May 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    I didn't notice any smell but I'll check tomorrow. Another bad thing is that this was not my chicken. I was raising it for a neighbor. So now I might have to buy another. [​IMG]

9. LindseyM12

May 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    Another question, how do you know if her legs are paralyzed?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by