Please help us help this duckling !!!! šŸ„ šŸ˜¢

Right little duckie is still alive this morning! ā¤ļø heā€™s more struggling around but his eyes are still closed ?! Also obviously the major issue that this goo etc is still majorly attached to him. It also smells šŸ˜¢ so obviously Iā€™m worried it will give him an infection. Can it all be tied off somehow so it drops off? Or is this really a lost cause ??
Itā€™s not a lost cause. Keep the duckling warm and give it time.

Like @Debbie292d said, the umbilical will shrivel up and fall off on its own. When that does happen, you can put some antibiotic ointment on the navel. I did that several times a day.

If you think itā€™s eyes are sealed shut by dried goo you can gently wipe them with warm saline.

Ah yes it could be that theyā€™re sealed shut rather than not opened . All its feathers are totally hard and crispy like itā€™s got strong hair gel on! Iā€™ll try to gently bathe the eyes. Probably leave the rest of the feathers for now . Iā€™ll leave the umbilical cord alone then . Would it be normal for it to smell bit gross and not mean an infection is inevitable?

Ah yes it could be that theyā€™re sealed shut rather than not opened . All its feathers are totally hard and crispy like itā€™s got strong hair gel on! Iā€™ll try to gently bathe the eyes. Probably leave the rest of the feathers for now . Iā€™ll leave the umbilical cord alone then . Would it be normal for it to smell bit gross and not mean an infection is inevitable?
Yes it can smell a bit gross.

Yeah, I wouldnā€™t clean the rest of the duckling yet. But you can use warm water and a Q tip or cotton ball to gently clean it once it has finished absorbing and is getting stronger. I wouldnā€™t risk it now because you donā€™t want to chill it and you donā€™t have a warm incubator to stick it in to dry after cleaning.

Do you think the duckling is getting stronger?

Unfortunately heā€™s been less moving etc this afternoon, but heā€™s still breathing and moving a little. I offered some sugar water but he wasnā€™t interested. I donā€™t think heā€™ll make it but will keep trying . Fingers crossed!

Unfortunately heā€™s been less moving etc this afternoon, but heā€™s still breathing and moving a little. I offered some sugar water but he wasnā€™t interested. I donā€™t think heā€™ll make it but will keep trying . Fingers crossed!
They are not needing to be active while absorbing
Keeping warm and keeping the yolk from drying out is most important
No wet paper towels as that chills them
Put a little piece of kitchen wrap over the bottom half of baby and then dry paper towel over that
Leave baby be to rest and absorb the yolk
Agsin he doesnā€™t need any water or vitamins at this time
Not till itā€™s been at least 6 hours after fully absorbing if he isnā€™t trying to move around yet
As kk he should be doing right now is yawning and chewing and staying curled up till the yolk is gone

Back
Top Bottom