Please help! Vomiting chicken!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SweetJoy7, Nov 29, 2013.

1. SweetJoy7

SweetJoy7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2013
    Hello!! Our chicken papaya is a 2 year old Golden Comet, and just today I noticed her not moving much. When I picked her up, she threw up. We had a hen that did this and we took care of her until she passed away. We were just wanting to know what this may be and how we can help her get better. Are there any vitamins we can give to her?
    Thank you so much!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If her crop is full first thing in the morning when it should be empty, she may have either sour crop or impacted crop. A sour crop can happen after impacted crop or some other illness. Here is a link that it helpful: http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/01/crop-issues.html

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Sounds like she could have sour or impacted crop, or possibly an impacted gizzard. Check her crop in the morning, at which time it should be relatively empty and flat. If it isn't, and it feels hard, then she probably has impacted crop. If the crop is balloon like and squishy, and there is a sour smell coming from her mouth, I would suspect sour crop.

To treat impacted crop, give her some olive oil and gently massage the crop. In many cases, this will dissolve the obstructing mass and the bird will be fine. Don't let her eat any more hard stuff, like grain or grass, either. If the massaging and limiting of hard food doesn't clear the crop, you may have to perform crop surgery if you want her to live.

I'm not sure on the treatment for sour crop, as I've never really dealt with a severe case of it. When one of my birds had a mild case, though, simply putting probiotics in her water and keeping her clean/comfortable cured the problem within a few days.

4. SweetJoy7

SweetJoy7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2013
    Thank you so much for your advice! We separated our chicken,Papaya, and she is doing a lot better!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by