1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please Help!! What is getting my hens (Graphic Pic)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ourlittleflock, Feb 24, 2014.

1. ourlittleflock

ourlittleflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    North Carolina
    please help!!! I have lost 2x LF cochin hens in the last week

1. incident
    found hen in woods on a path they travel everyday
    neck looked broken (nothing eaten) and she had a large gash on the side. the gash exposed her whole side. no one else was bothered

2. incident today (pic attached of her)
    found hen in front flower bed of house
    this time she had a large gash on her side. slightly eaten. half of her neck and head was completely gone on one side but still attached to her body
    feathers everywhere
    again no one else was bothered

both events happen between 12-3 during the day
    [​IMG]

2. jeffmazz

jeffmazz New Egg

Dec 29, 2012
    My guess would be a hawk.

3. JessyGii

JessyGii Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2012
    Ohio
    hawks usually always rip intestines out and fest on the belly portion, this looks like a definite weasel attack. weasels kill for fun and will come back until there's nothing left to kill anymore they rip the heads off or bite the necks, and chew off the back end or area.

4. crazyfeathers

crazyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    So sorry about your chicken, my sympathies.

5. ourlittleflock

ourlittleflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    North Carolina
    thanks - the flock will stay up for a few days until I can get this figured out

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'd say the first was a dog, unless you scared off the predator before it could leave with it's meal it could have been anything but probably 4 legged.

The second sounds like a hawk, they'll eat the head and neck first and they pull a lot of feathers.

Weasels don't kill for fun, but they are very efficient and can kill multiples before eating and usually kill in the coop at night.

Sounds like you need a covered run.

7. ScottyChic

ScottyChic Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you have such beasts called MINK?

Here where I live, MINK are notorious for killing for fun.

They will quite happily kill numerous hens in one go then disappear without participating in a meal. Horrible, verocious creatures.

Did I hear someone mention WEASELS? - I guess they may be related to Mink/Ferretts.

I hope that you catch the predator responsible and deal with it accordingly.

Good Luck.

8. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

I agree, same thing happened to mine, and it was a mink... Or weasel.. Same family.

9. VulpesVulpes

VulpesVulpes Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2014
    Colorado
    Mink are primarily nocturnal, so an attack in the middle of the day seems odd and I would rule it out. Could also be a fox. Foxes are indiscriminate killers. They don't always kill to eat, sometimes it's for sport. Weasels are the same way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by