Please help with advice!

greggooo

Happy Chickens!
Aug 29, 2017
Woodstock, NY
My Coop
My Coop
We have a very neglectful neighbor. I'm not kidding when I say she has gone through over 100 chickens/guineas in 3 years because she doesn't protect them at all and we live in the woods. One of her hens (turns out the last one) ran to us for help yesterday. She had been attacked, I believe by the dog that came to visit with her guest. The skin on the back of her neck is torn nearly from ear to ear. She is bright, eating, and in good spirits.

I cleaned the wound with a saline/weak betadine solution and packed it full of triple antibiotic ointment. The vet we usually see is out on leave for 6 weeks. I THINK she should have antibiotics and know that they always try a broad spectrum Amox/Clav 875mg/125mg. I see it own sale at a fish store. Has anyone ever used these seemingly identical fish antibiotics? http://aquariumdrugs.com/product/aquarium-amox-clav/?utm_source=Google Shopping&utm_campaign=Aquarium&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=64

I will of course see if any other vet near us will look at her. Suffice to say, we have had her surrendered to us officially and have dubbed her Buffy the Hawk Slayer.

Attachments

• tempImageAuZFuK.png
    tempImageAuZFuK.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 12
You might find Fish Mox at your local feed store sometimes on the shelf. Dosage is 25-50 mg per pound, or 125-250 mg for a 5 pound chicken. Saline or Vetericyn are good to clean the wound twice a day, and kep the wound covered with plain antibiotic ointment until it heals. Unfortunately, it sounds like your neighbor should not have animals if they don’t take care of them. Any new dog will go after chickens.

You might find Fish Mox at your local feed store sometimes on the shelf. Dosage is 25-50 mg per pound, or 125-250 mg for a 5 pound chicken. Saline or Vetericyn are good to clean the wound twice a day, and kep the wound covered with plain antibiotic ointment until it heals. Unfortunately, it sounds like your neighbor should not have animals if they don’t take care of them. Any new dog will go after chickens.
Thank you, I will look up that product and search it out. You've used it?

And the grounds keeper where she lives is removing the remaining guineas from her. I have hopefully found a rescue to take them. Little Buffy is the last chicken out of the 35 she bought in Sept. So many beautiful breeds, all needlessly gone.

Fish mox is amoxicillin, and is easier to get without a prescription than clavamox. Either can be used for wounds. Sometimes just good first aid and wound treatment is enough.

I had a hen with a similar injury (actually was worse looking) that was done by flock mates. I cleaned it really well and kept it covered with plain neosporin, reapplied as needed until it scabbed over completely. Antibiotics were not needed in her case. Picture below about 5 weeks into healing. It may form a very large, thick scab, that will gradually come off. It eventually fully feathered out and she looks completely normal now.
headwound.jpg

Back
Top Bottom