Please help with Khaki Campbells and Rouen

kimbot73

In the Brooder
Jun 1, 2020
Texas
Hello. I have three ducks - two Khaki Campbells and one Rouen. The Rouen is 2 months old and the KC's are almost 6 weeks. I have read through most of the feeds I have found on here relating to sexing these breeds and wanted to see if anyone has heard of a male KC being very vocal. He is louder than the other two and sounds like a pig when he is eating.
Bumblebee.jpg

I think he is a male based on the bill color.

Also, we add brewers yeast to their feed and I supplement with oatmeal, peas, fruit, and they forage too. Will my Rouen's wing fall back into place or will this be permanent?

Tic.jpg

Bill color is not an indicator that I'm aware of. The Drake's may actual talk more but it is a softer raspier sound. The hen will have more of a quack sound. As they age a Drake's head will darken and he will get curled feather in his tail. Looks like a kaki Drake on the bottom right.

With Khakis you can tell by the feathers above the tail. Lighter, two-toned feathers indicate a female. Dark, one color feathers indicate a male (see picture below). In your picture, the Khaki on the left is hard for me tell. It looks like a female but it could be the lighting and shadows. I would go take a good look at those feathers. If that is the loud duck, being a girl would explain it. The Khaki in your picture, on the right, is definitely a male. I believe it works with Rouen’s as well. If so, he is male. My drake (male) talks non-stop, more than my girls. But he isn't nearly as loud. He always sounds raspy like he was yelling too much and became hoarse. My girls can be heard a block away at times. Hope this helps you.
IMG_1272.jpg

With Khakis you can tell by the feathers above the tail. Lighter, two-toned feathers indicate a female. Dark, one color feathers indicate a male (see picture below). In your picture, the Khaki on the left is hard for me tell. It looks like a female but it could be the lighting and shadows. I would go take a good look at those feathers. If that is the loud duck, being a girl would explain it. The Khaki in your picture, on the right, is definitely a male. I believe it works with Rouen’s as well. If so, he is male. My drake (male) talks non-stop, more than my girls. But he isn't nearly as loud. He always sounds raspy like he was yelling too much and became hoarse. My girls can be heard a block away at times. Hope this helps you.
View attachment 2171918
Thank you. So we could possibly have three drakes? Will they get along if there isn't a duck around?

Maybe. Some people have great success with drake flocks. Only time will tell.
Some people do, some don't! I"m somewhere in the middle. Mine are manageable, but they have to be separated in the summer, or they'll kill each other. My pekin discovered yesterday that they can plow down my temporary fence with their sheer weight! I had to break up numerous fights yesterday. This is when they're out in the yard. In their pen they can't get at each other.

I'd just wait and see if they'll get along.

Hello. I have three ducks - two Khaki Campbells and one Rouen. The Rouen is 2 months old and the KC's are almost 6 weeks. I have read through most of the feeds I have found on here relating to sexing these breeds and wanted to see if anyone has heard of a male KC being very vocal. He is louder than the other two and sounds like a pig when he is eating. View attachment 2171853
I think he is a male based on the bill color.

Also, we add brewers yeast to their feed and I supplement with oatmeal, peas, fruit, and they forage too. Will my Rouen's wing fall back into place or will this be permanent?

View attachment 2171854
your rouen is a boy, and so is one of the khaki. see the one with the lighter colors above the tail? she’s female

Back
Top Bottom