Please help with our barred rock!

Juliette0214

Hatching
May 10, 2019
Hello-
We've had 'Roxy' for about a year now. About two weeks ago she made a soft crow! We were shocked as we've never had a rooster before, and because she waited this long to crow. She does not crow every day...just randomly here and there. We showed a picture to the person we bought her from, and he wasn't sure, but when we brought her in live, he said she's a rooster!

The weird thing is, she took a while to crow, and she doesn't have talons? Or a dripping tail? However her comb looks like a rooster?

We would be heartbroken to give her away as we raised from chick age and she/he is our favorite chicken. My kids adore Roxy! Our town doesn't allow roosters and the place we got her from says they kind find a home. But I hate to part with her/him. Anyone want to confirm she looks like a rooster? Many thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_3665.jpg
    IMG_3665.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 18
Can you take a closer picture of them? Try showing more of the tail end. I'm just trying to look for saddle feathers. I don't really see it from the pic you posted and usually roosters grow those in in several months

Can you try to get close up pictures of the feathers? Yes it definitely has a rooster comb... but I'm not convinced. And I've personally had hens who would crow if they had no rooster, so.... idk

In the absence of a rooster, some hens will undergo a hormonal change where their functioning ovary shuts down and they begin developing masculine traits, including crowing and mounting behaviors.

If she's not crowing every day probably not a rooster. She does have quite the comb and wattle on her though.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom