Please help with picking feather problem

I just started feeding game bird conditioner last week to combat this problem and my chickens are already growing feathers in. I used Purina Game Chow flight conditioner (19%) and it also has animal proteins. I have never been happy with 16% layer feed. I wanted the gamebird Layena (20%) but my feed store didn't have it.

Typically feather picking is caused by boredom and overcrowding. It can also be a lack of protein in their diets. You can throw some dry cat food out just as a treat to up their protein. Don't overdo, though. And look for ideas on things for them to do; you might try a suet feeder hung from the ceiling, stuffed with a healthy treat such as greens. It takes them time to peck it out of the suet feeders, so they are distracted with that and will thus feather pick less. Good luck! Sounds like you're getting good advice, and your birds appear to be healthy otherwise.

ETA: If you have Buckeye feed available to you, get some Layer/Breeder; it's got higher protein (20%) and animal protein. I switched to that (it comes in a pellet form as well as crumble) about 6 months ago and have been VERY pleased.

Last edited:
I applied blue-kote to all the exposed skin. Does anyone know how long I should wait to eat the eggs? I emailed the company and asked.

If you have one or two hens in the coop that still have all their feathers, they are probably the culprits. Try taking them out and see if the feathers start coming right back on the poor chickens. That will also alleviate some of the crowded conditions that are probably the root of this problem.

By the way, if you put the hens that still have all of their feathers at the base of their tails together, you will soon know which is the dominant one.....She may start picking the feathers off of her cage mate !

Back
Top Bottom