Please help with plans for coop and paddocks

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ella&clara, Jan 28, 2015.

1. ella&clara

ella&clara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    NM somehow I missed the "coops" tab...I see plenty of ideas!
    Hi
    I've had chickens for nearly 4 years, using a chicken tractor and two runs of electronet fencing to move them around to new pasture. The chicken tractor is starting to deteriorate and I've worked on it a couple of times now, and I'm looking to build a more permanent structure. Ideally it would house perhaps up to 15 birds (?) maybe more, and be a permanent structure that would open out onto three paddocks that I would rotationally graze. I'd like to put automatic door openers in there (solar-powered as we have no source of power) and perhaps automatic waterers with a garden hose. I see lots of chicken-tractor type plans, and coop and run plans, but I'd like a plain coop plan with pop doors. One human door. I'm not sure if I want to have a dirt floor, or have deep litter, or have droppings boards. I have a coop and run that I use when we go out of town (for now). Any ideas? I have plenty of room for the chickens and have successfully moved them around on my "pasture" areas for the past 4 years. I'm getting a bit lazy with moving the tractor though, and I'd like to make a larger structure to house more hens. Thanks for any suggestions!
    ETA I live in SC so heat is more of a concern than cold. The area in which I'm considering placing the coop is in full sun all day, but it's an area in which the chickens normally run. The rest in the shade of the chicken tractor during the hottest parts of the day. I guess th

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by