Please help with possible AVIAN BOTULISM (updated)

Thanks, Minnie!

Where do I get PolyViSol baby drop without iron? Is it a OTC human vitamin? Feed store?

What makes you say Copper probably doesn't have Mareks? His legs seem to be a little too close together or something...when he's walking, he routinely overlaps his feet and almost trips himself or has to take very large steps forward to avoid that. I read that Mareks can effect tendons. He is perky and likes to get out of the cage (in a garage with lots of air and indirect light) and sunbathe. He has had some formed poops, but also a lot of watery poop with a hint of green (but seems within normal, not that I know much!).

Regardless of what he had/has, I need to figure out if he can go back with the others. They were most likely exposed before I ever isolated him, but none have shown symptoms and it's been 5+ days. If I handle him or his stuff or let him sit on me, I always shower and change clothes before going out with the other chicks...it's getting old.

(BTW, my grandmother, Mignon, went by Minnie her whole life. good memories of a wonderful lady!)

Thanks, Minnie!

Where do I get PolyViSol baby drop without iron? Is it a OTC human vitamin? Feed store?

What makes you say Copper probably doesn't have Mareks? His legs seem to be a little too close together or something...when he's walking, he routinely overlaps his feet and almost trips himself or has to take very large steps forward to avoid that. I read that Mareks can effect tendons. He is perky and likes to get out of the cage (in a garage with lots of air and indirect light) and sunbathe. He has had some formed poops, but also a lot of watery poop with a hint of green (but seems within normal, not that I know much!).

Regardless of what he had/has, I need to figure out if he can go back with the others. They were most likely exposed before I ever isolated him, but none have shown symptoms and it's been 5+ days. If I handle him or his stuff or let him sit on me, I always shower and change clothes before going out with the other chicks...it's getting old.

(BTW, my grandmother, Mignon, went by Minnie her whole life. good memories of a wonderful lady!)
I just think Mareks attacks younger birds. I don't think what your bird has is contagious either or you would see it already in others.
PolyViSol is available anywhere that baby stuff is sold, and yes, I mean the human baby kind. You can get it at WalMart or Target or such stores if you have them close by. But make sure it is without iron. I give just a drop 2 times a day to little chicks. If one is acting sort of weak, I give it drops for a couple of days. By the third day or so, it is usually running around so I can't tell which is was or the vitamins didn't work and it is a loss. It doesn't take much though, so just don't think you have to give them a whole dropper or anything just a few drops a day will do.

Good luck!

My real name is not Minnie, I live in Minnesota and thought that was a good thing to use. My real name is Theri (pronounced like Teri).

Minnie (Theri), thank you so much!

Copper is 10 weeks old today, BTW...not sure if I mentioned that.

Jolly Rancher, did you start a new thread asking about your little silkie cross?

hey guys.

i didn't end up posting a new thread, i just dug around and kept trying many different things, but stuck with extra vitamins and liquid vitamin e. I deduced that it most likely was brain damage. his appetite stayed up, but I believe he wasnt getting enough food because his coordination was so off. We force fed him soft high protein foods with extra vitamins for a week or better, and kept him isolated for the most part, but he stopped drinking willingly too. we eventually ended up having to cull the lil guy, he had no quality of life left, and by the end he lost his spunk as well and was just moping. all the rest of that brood is just fine and dandy and holy are they ever gettin big! as big as a silkie banti cross can get anyways!! haha! I'm glad that Copper pulled through!

all the best!

Jolly Rancher :)

When you raise as many as some of insane people with chickens do, then you see all kinds of things happen and some you just can't explain without a necropsy. I usually open up any birds I lose for unknown reasons. I don't always get an answer, but sometimes I do. With young birds though, you may have a degenerative disease or condition that just doesn't manifest until they have gotten a few weeks old. There are just some that no matter what you do, there is nothing that helps.
It is good JR that you saw that quality of life was no longer with your bird. Many people will just keep them and "hoping it will get better", which leads to long-term suffering for the animal. I am sorry for your loss.

Minnie

hi. my chooks have botulism to. one is getting better though. we fed her yogurt and other meals full of protein. we then put her out onto the grass so she could walk. the other one is not doing so well. i found out that if a chook has botulism for more than 48 hours, it will usually recover. my advice is to let your chook on to grass and fed it protein meals. if you have any other chooks let it go near them. if it;s not doing so well then take it to a vet. i hope your roo gets better.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom