Please help with run size!

coffeemama

Barista Queen
11 Years
Mar 5, 2008
Oregono
I know this info. is somewhere but now I can't find it. I want to have a run that is 36sq ft. How many bantams will this house? They have ample indoor space, and will have some free range time. This is just for the run (which will also be covered because it rains a lot here)

We use 8 sq. ft. for bantams and 10 sq. ft. for standards in the run.
So using what we do: if your run is 36 sq. ft., at 8 sq. ft. per chicken, you can have 4 1/2 bantams in your run!
Of course, I don't recommend the 1/2 chicken!!
old.gif

Jean

I know this info. is somewhere but now I can't find it. I want to have a run that is 36sq ft. How many bantams will this house? They have ample indoor space, and will have some free range time. This is just for the run (which will also be covered because it rains a lot here)

Another idea might be to have a smaller run, and move it every other day.

Even at 10 sqft per bird, they will reduce it to bare earth in no time. Ours will be getting about 5 sqft, but fresh every other day.​

That's not a option for us because we live in town and only have our landscaped backyard for them. Thaks for the replies! I could count my tiny oeg bbr as 1/2 a chicken-she is 1/2 as big as all my others!

Quote:
In town it might be better to make a permanent hardbase, even for the run. Concrete or gravel. work well. The concrete would need something softer on top, but it's very easy to keep the whole lot clean and smell free.

On th other hand, bare earth works well for many, but will never look landscaped
smile.png

If the run is enclosed then growing plants around the base (outside) or decorating the lower part of the wire with a low picket fence makes it more attractive. You could even, climate allowing, train a vine along the fencing, or use other climbing plants.

Well we certainly do not have a nice enough yard to spring for concrete-gravel might be a good idea though! lol We already have a dirt run, but we're expanding our flock a bit and want to add on. I think I might look into that food grade stuff to sprinkle-can't for the life of me remember what it's called!

Back
Top Bottom