Please Help!

elizagd

In the Brooder
May 7, 2017
Please Help!
I have a young Ameraucana I bought the middle of last summer, she didn't start laying till winter with a light. I live in Georgia we had a mild winter this year and the light kept the hens laying in the short days. The man I bought her from said she was young, he also said something about a pink spot on her head that means she wasn't old enough to lay till end of summer. Does anyone know anything about this? She layed consistently till about a month ago. She lives in a nice corner of my yard with two other hens who lay everyday, I don't understand why she stopped so suddenly. Please share any advice! I'm very fond of my Audrey Hepburn and hate to give her away. Or worse kill and eat her! Audrey is a very special girl in my mini flock.
Thanks, Eliza

Hi and welcome to BYC. I'm no expert on the breed, but I'd say someone was pulling your leg about the pink spot. Is she sitting on a nest? Do you think she is broody?

More generally, you'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre - https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread#post_3239224

All the best
CT

I've never heard anything about pink spots affecting laying.
It's possible that man was just saying an old wives' tale.
The hen could have been older than he said she was -
when you buy animals from others always make sure they're healthy and what you want.
Or it could be something else.
Have you noticed anything different in her behavior or appearance?

If you like her so much why, do you feel you need to give her away or kill and eat her? Why can't she be a hen you are fond of.

Back
Top Bottom