Please help!

SuperStephVette

Chirping
Jul 23, 2018
New York
I have a polish top hat and i have been noticing that she is getting more and more bald on top. Almost looks like she is missing hair plugs. I believe when my rooster is riding her he is ripping them out. She is bloody and bald looking. I asked a friend about this issue as she has the same style chickens and she said to put vaseline on her head. I did that but the rooster seems to keep going after her head. Is my only option to get rid of the rooster? I dont know what else to do for her. She hates me pasting the vaseline on her head and it doesnt seem to be doing any good. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• 20181212_123544.jpg
    20181212_123544.jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 8
Is she around other chickens besides the rooster? Polish chickens are very prone to feather picking of the head feathers. I raised two hens, and from the time they were 2 months old until they were 5 years old, they had feathers plucked. One would get it, and not the other, then later on the other would. I used BluKote on their heads when it first started, because if I didn’t, they would be completely bald within 2 days. It takes 30-40 days for the feathers to grow back in, and they will get them pecked out as the new ones come in if the BluKote is not continually used every 2-3 days. They will be left alone for months at a time, and suddenly, they will start getting feather picked, so just watch for it to happen. I lost both of my birds to hawks eventually in separate incidents.

She is in large kennel and chicken coop with 9 other chickens, 2 Roosters and 8 hens. I feel she is going to go bald at this rate. Its depressing to see this happening to her.

Is she around other chickens besides the rooster? Polish chickens are very prone to feather picking of the head feathers. I raised two hens, and from the time they were 2 months old until they were 5 years old, they had feathers plucked. One would get it, and not the other, then later on the other would. I used BluKote on their heads when it first started, because if I didn’t, they would be completely bald within 2 days. It takes 30-40 days for the feathers to grow back in, and they will get them pecked out as the new ones come in if the BluKote is not continually used every 2-3 days. They will be left alone for months at a time, and suddenly, they will start getting feather picked, so just watch for it to happen. I lost both of my birds to hawks eventually in separate incidents.

I had a chicken that was getting picked on by other hens. She was bloody and feathers were missing. A friend let me know about vicks vaporub. Put a little on the feathers (not sure about right on the skin - I didn't) One peck and the offender was wiping her beak. She healed real fast after that. That said, I have a rough rooster who has a preference for one hen. She gets a little rough looking, but doesn't seem to mind so I just keep an eye on her.

I will have to try that. I have been keeping an eye on her and it keeps getting more depressing looking at her going blad little head.
I had a chicken that was getting picked on by other hens. She was bloody and feathers were missing. A friend let me know about vicks vaporub. Put a little on the feathers (not sure about right on the skin - I didn't) One peck and the offender was wiping her beak. She healed real fast after that. That said, I have a rough rooster who has a preference for one hen. She gets a little rough looking, but doesn't seem to mind so I just keep an eye on her.

Back
Top Bottom