Please Help!

F_Street_Flock

Hatching
Jan 16, 2021
Springfield, Oregon
My little Daphne is making a strange sound and periodically a high pitched "squeek" or "chirp" almost like a hiccup or sneeze. She has been doing this all day. She did it once before but it stopped when she roosted for the night and was fine the following day. Does anyone know what it might be? I have attached a short video. You will need your sound on. Thanks in advance for your help!

Maybe check if she has her nostrils clogged. Or sneezing might also be some sort of dust issue, unfortunately I cant remember what its called. But yeah maybe you can check for debree in her nose.

The sound is caused by stridor, which is a partial obstruction of the airway. She's also coughing or sneezing periodically, which is the higher pitched sound. She may have something like a bit of feed or other debris caught and it's causing the sound and the coughing and sneezing is her trying to get it out. If it's feed etc, it will often resolve on it's own. It also can be from a respiratory infection. I would look in her throat and mouth to see if there is anything obvious caught there. See if she has any discharge from eyes, beak or nares, which would be symptoms of a respiratory infection. I've had a couple of birds do this when it's very hot out, in the summer, and it resolves when it cools off. Since it's winter that is a less likely cause right now.

X3 on this being stridor. It can be common when they get a piece of feed stuck in the airway. Most times, it disappears within a few hours. My hen used to do that every now and then. Other possible causes are mucus plugs or swelling of the mucosa with a respsiratory disease. That is usually seen with watery eyes, head shaking, and gasping.

Back
Top Bottom