Please help

Madison Lorenzen

Chirping
Nov 6, 2017
Hey all.
My almost 7 year old hen was fine yesterday and today something is wrong. I went to check on her tonight like I always do and she was just laying on the bottom of her coop. Her body felt very light and limp when I picked her up. I put her down on the grass and she just laid there. Wouldn’t move. My bf brought out a tomato and she stood up and pecked it but didn’t eat it. Wouldn’t eat bread either. She just laid there sometimes on her side and sometimes on her belly with her wings out a little bit. She had a bunch of poop stuck on her butt and some of it had a little bit of blood in it. I cleaned that off. Her comb and wattles are very very pale. She wasn’t really “actively” laying but would here and there. Last one was probably like 2 months ago. We brought out mealworms and she pecked it again but wouldn’t eat. She followed my bf when he got up with the bag. And pooped. Then started walking back towards the coop but was losing balance and decided to just lay in the grass again. (She did walk into her coop earlier today) I brought her inside and her eyes are closed, mouth open and won’t open her eyes. I thought she was gone for a minute and then she opened her eyes. Her crop is empty. I’m attaching photos of her poop, her comb and wattles and her sitting position. I’m sorry this is so unorganized. I’m very scatter-brained right now and wasn’t expecting this.

about 2 or 3 years ago at our old house, most of our chickens died randomly ITV similar symptoms. Not moving and not eating. We suspected Mareks and then thought the neighbors might’ve poisoned them since this baby and has it made it so long and through 2 moves. Please let me know what you think and ask any questions you have. Thanks.
97FA6264-58E0-41ED-8C43-7005622F1DEF.jpeg
4EE61F23-FA68-4EFD-9AB0-B918FEEE4F74.jpeg
A9778D9A-A536-4380-AFBD-19AB58F5616F.jpeg
518E1E0A-9D3B-4455-9701-C081A9FC14D8.jpeg
A120820E-9223-49CC-81EA-ECE4C730B2DD.jpeg

If she's lost a lot of weight, chances are good she's nearing the end. The poop is pretty typical for a bird who hasn't been eating - she may still be doing a little drinking.

Chickens are so good at hiding problems- if it makes you feel better, it's unlikely you would have been able to do much to help anyhow. Our feathered friends that are lucky enough to see old age tend to develop either some stage of egg yolk peritonitis or organ failure.

Put her someplace she'll be really comfortable, have her favorite treats available and tell her what an excellent hen she is. 😟

If she's lost a lot of weight, chances are good she's nearing the end. The poop is pretty typical for a bird who hasn't been eating - she may still be doing a little drinking.

Chickens are so good at hiding problems- if it makes you feel better, it's unlikely you would have been able to do much to help anyhow. Our feathered friends that are lucky enough to see old age tend to develop either some stage of egg yolk peritonitis or organ failure.

Put her someplace she'll be really comfortable, have her favorite treats available and tell her what an excellent hen she is. 😟
Thank you. She passed away last night. I think she may have had a seizure or something. She was a whole foot away from where I left her and the food and water I left her spilled everywhere.

Thank you. She passed away last night. I think she may have had a seizure or something. She was a whole foot away from where I left her and the food and water I left her spilled everywhere.

Sigh, I'm sorry. The spilled food and water are pretty normal. Sometimes they pass quietly with little motion and other times it's what you've described.

Back
Top Bottom