Please Help

MAM4568

Hatching
Nov 20, 2021
Hi to every one,
I'm new to this site.
I need help/advice.
I live in Hollywood, Florida
I have 6 (4 hens and 2 roosters) pure breed black Jersey Giant they are 1 and a half years old.
I have a notice of a violation of the city, they want me to get rid of them.
We feel destroyed because they're our pets, I know this may sound crazy but I'm thinking to go to court.
I cannot let them go.
Any idea, suggestion, plan of action or any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank You

Hi to every one,
I'm new to this site.
I need help/advice.
I live in Hollywood, Florida
I have 6 (4 hens and 2 roosters) pure breed black Jersey Giant they are 1 and a half years old.
I have a notice of a violation of the city, they want me to get rid of them.
We feel destroyed because they're our pets, I know this may sound crazy but I'm thinking to go to court.
I cannot let them go.
Any idea, suggestion, plan of action or any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank You
I’m sorry you are going through this. Are you considering moving? It might be your best bet.

thank you so much for the advice, I talked with a city inspector today and it seems they are pretty serious about not allowing chickens here. Unbelievable ...Despite all this pandemic going on and clime changes and everything else...in about 2 months they may call the SWAT team and arrest me and the chickens so we get out of Hollywood. Very stupid.
What I'm gonna do? ... I don't know
I'm thinking about moving out, I'm done with all the city rules.
If someone has any other suggestions, let me know.
Thank you

Sorry. The real irreperable harm is to you. How does some lousy judge who doesn't own chickens get to ban them.

I can see rooster noise violating noise ordinances, but banning chickens is a crime against humanity if you ask me. Other than moving them indoors or registering them as support animals you will have to move if chickens are more important. Sorry you have such lousy neighbors that don't love chickens.

Move.

You aren't going to win that one.

You might, eventually, get the ordinance changed if you can gin up enough community support, but that's (typically) a process of years, and you can't have your birds in the interim.

In essence, you've just gotten a speeding ticket for a road you have sped down every single day since first getting chickens, and are telling the nice judge that you want to continue to speed down the same road every day in the future, indefinitely. I'm sure you can understand how that's likely to go over.

Reality is, you don't own your land - you only have the use of it, subject to the rules of its lord (your municipality, county, and state), and only so long as you pay your property taxes. Their land, their rules. Its the American way. and if you happen to be in an HOA? even worse - because you agreed to give your neighbors a say in how you enjoy the use of "your" (see above) land.

Last edited:
Move.

You aren't going to win that one.

You might, eventually, get the ordinance changed if you can gin up enough community support, but that's (typically) a process of years, and you can't have your birds in the interim.

In essence, you've just gotten a speeding ticket for a road you have speed down every single day since first getting chickens, and are telling the nice judge that you want to continue to speed down the same road every day in the future, indefinitely. I'm sure you can understand how that's likely to go over.

Reality is, you don't own your land - you only have the use of it, subject to the rules of its lord (your municipality, county, and state), and only so long as you pay your property taxes. Their land, their rules. Its the American way. and if you happen to be in an HOA? even worse - because you agreed to give your neighbors a say in how you enjoy the use of "your" (see above) land.
You nailed it! We rent our “property“ from our overlords.

Back
Top Bottom