Please help!

We do unplug the heat lamp during the day and at night we plug it back in because it gets colder. Currently I have them on all flock food because we have chickens as well so we can feed them both the same food. I have them on vitimans that have quite a bit of stuff including niacin in it, and I’m giving them hydro hen in their water as well. I personally think it could just get way to warm in the sun porch during the day.
I think you are right that it is too warm. I have 10 ducklings that will be two weeks old tomorrow. The ten of them are in a 6-7 foot indoor pen. They have access to their old, little brooder which has a heat lamp at only one end and is where their food is. They also have a four foot baby pool with brick steps to get in and out. Mine have been spending most of the day on the end of the pen farthest from the heat lamp, sleeping (where the bucket is in the video). They get up after about a half an hour and go swimming, get some food, or run around. I tell you all this to say they really do not need a lot heat at this age. They also do really well if they have room to move around. It sounds like you are doing a good job and figuring it out. Your duckling are going to enjoy when that pool arrives!
These are mine last week:

I think you are right that it is too warm. I have 10 ducklings that will be two weeks old tomorrow. The ten of them are in a 6-7 foot indoor pen. They have access to their old, little brooder which has a heat lamp at only one end and is where their food is. They also have a four foot baby pool with brick steps to get in and out. Mine have been spending most of the day on the end of the pen farthest from the heat lamp, sleeping (where the bucket is in the video). They get up after about a half an hour and go swimming, get some food, or run around. I tell you all this to say they really do not need a lot heat at this age. They also do really well if they have room to move around. It sounds like you are doing a good job and figuring it out. Your duckling are going to enjoy when that pool arrives!

They definitely do not have all of that room yet, we don’t have that much room available for them inside the house unfortunately. But I’m trying to do my best with them I’m just so nervous I don’t know what I’m doing. They will have more room when they move outside. I feel like I’m doing stuff wrong. It sounds like you have so much room for them and I don’t want to hurt them by not giving them enough room. What should I do?

They definitely do not have all of that room yet, we don’t have that much room available for them inside the house unfortunately. But I’m trying to do my best with them I’m just so nervous I don’t know what I’m doing. They will have more room when they move outside. I feel like I’m doing stuff wrong. It sounds like you have so much room for them and I don’t want to hurt them by not giving them enough room. What should I do?
I think, just by how concerned you are, you are doing fine. How many ducklings do you have? When I take my ducklings home on the weekends, I do not have as much room as school. So, I try to give them exercise by swimming in a rubber made tub or, if the weather is nice, by spending some time outdoors. I go outside with them and put them under an overturned clothes basket. I make sure they have water and shade and I do not leave them for more than a second or two. If they seem hot (panting) we go back inside. Hope that helps!

I think, just by how concerned you are, you are doing fine. How many ducklings do you have? When I take my ducklings home on the weekends, I do not have as much room as school. So, I try to give them exercise by swimming in a rubber made tub or, if the weather is nice, by spending some time outdoors. I go outside with them and put them under an overturned clothes basket. I make sure they have water and shade and I do not leave them for more than a second or two. If they seem hot (panting) we go back inside. Hope that helps!
That does help so much! I have a total of 3 ducklings! I’ve had to take them outside to swim about 5 times because they kept getting too hot. I think I might try to move them into the garage and hopefully they will have plenty more room and they won’t be so hot as often. Then maybe I’ll try to put their pool in their with them or something. I called TSC and they told me that they need to have access to a pool. Originally I thought they couldn’t swim for at least 4 weeks and I was being strict with their heat lamp. Now I’m not being so strict with both of those. I really hope they are okay. They seem happy!

That does help so much! I have a total of 3 ducklings! I’ve had to take them outside to swim about 5 times because they kept getting too hot. I think I might try to move them into the garage and hopefully they will have plenty more room and they won’t be so hot as often. Then maybe I’ll try to put their pool in their with them or something. I called TSC and they told me that they need to have access to a pool. Originally I thought they couldn’t swim for at least 4 weeks and I was being strict with their heat lamp. Now I’m not being so strict with both of those. I really hope they are okay. They seem happy!
Just be sure they can easily get in and out of the pool. I use bricks arranged like steps. They will take to the water like, um, ducks to water 😉. Keep us updated!

It is ok if your ducks don't have a pool. They do need to dunk their heads in water. They do not need to swim. (But They will probably have fun when it arrives) It sounds like you are doing well with your ducklings.

Just be sure they can easily get in and out of the pool. I use bricks arranged like steps. They will take to the water like, um, ducks to water 😉. Keep us updated!
That’s really good idea thank you!!! We are going to move them to the garage and make something a lot bigger for them to walk around in. I will personally take the out to the pool multiple times a day just until they are outside.

That is so adorable♥️

Sounds like you're doing a good job. Alot of ducking raising is doing what you feel you need to do to keep them healthy & happy. Keep up the good work!

Back
Top Bottom