Please Help!!!

sabong

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 5, 2010
I have almost 2 dozen eggs in my incubator...and the egg shells are way to hard...but they are ready to hatch...what should i do...thanks

welcome-byc.gif

Best thing you can do is walk away and let "nature" handle it. Don't open the incubator, don't fiddle with anything.
Happy hatching!
jumpy.gif

Leave them covered and do not open that bator as tempting as it may be!!!
wink.png
While egg shells may seem hard to you, chicks develop with a special little, "tooth" on the end of their beaks--this is a sharp, little pointy thing at the end of their beak that help them pip, cut, and break away the shell. That's the job of the, "tooth." Within 3-4 days after they hatch out, the, "tooth" falls off! Very cool, huh?! But if you open the bator or mess with them, you take out the necessary humidity that they need to turn, pip, and zip. Even after they hatch DO NOT open the bator! The chicks can stay in for a full 24 hours before needing to be removed as they are still being fed by their yolks for those first 24 hours!!! Plus they make great little cheerleaders for their fellow buddies and encourage them to hatch! Be prepared--they will bull-doze the eggs, but just let them be!!! Good luck!
wink.png

Welcome to BYC!

Try your best to ignore those little eggs. They will do fine, if it was meant to be. If you crack a shell before it is ready, it will bleed, so don't help them that way. Keep your bator closed, and spend all your time on here to distract yourself or go outside and get busy. I often check on my chicks a day after they are supposed to hatch to keep from "helping" them. Cause, if you open your bator, you disturb the perfect hatching environment and may dry out and chill your eggs/peeps.

It is great to have this website, you can spend all your time here learning how to hatch eggs the best way. We have at least a dozen "best" ways too!!!

Welcome!!! HenZ

thanks so much everyone...so far I have 8 little buff orpingtons...i did however help one poor little bird out of his shell...but the membrane on this shell was as thick as printer paper...and extremely hard...but he's fine now:D just smaller than all the rest

Back
Top Bottom