please help

ilikespots

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 21, 2010
i came home the other day and some of the yard chickens were dead laying everywhere and one was even laying in the dog pen in which i have a blood hound , my first thought was a dog. then i came home again and i have a ground pen that had been mashed flat and i found the rooster dead but no sign of the hen. then today i came home to find one rooster with his head gone and in another pen i had a hen missing. there were a big pile of feathers but no bird. what really confuses me about the hen missing was the pen was in the same spot and had not been damaged lke something might have been trying to get into it. what ever it is, is not scared of my bloodhound cause his pen is only about 15 feet from my chickens. the 3rd attack was done in the middle of the day also. i sat in my truck later tonight and about 10:30 there was a huge armodillo came out of the woods and walked right next to the dog pen. is it possible that it could be a armodillo doing this and if not what could be?

If you have anybody left please get them in lockdown immediately. The first massacre was one massacre too many. The pred will finish off every last one now that it knows where they live. You need a secure fenced area or at least keep them completely out of reach for days so that hopefully the pred goes off to find greener pastures.

And no, an armadillo is not the predator.

JJ

Happening during the day, I would rule out most wildlife (with the exception of something rabid). It's most likely a dog.

Sounds like a large dog to me and then another predator or predators taking and feeding on the dead birds after the initial attack.

A dog would be a good explanation. Is your dog able to be bred? If so, that could be why this other dog is getting away with it without upsetting your own. Maybe it's the opposite sex and was flirting with your dog when it noticed the chickens.

well good news , thanx to my wife being at home this morning , she saw who was doing it. take a guess............it was a 100lb , 9 month old male bloodhound. yes thats true my own dog has got since enough to have figured a way out of the pen and back in it when or b4 we got home. she heard him barking like crazy this morning and when she opened the back door to look out he ran and jumped back in the pen. thanx to a weedburner fence charger, i can promise he will not try that no more. thanx to all for your explanations of what it might be.

Back
Top Bottom