Please Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rooster brandon.

Songster
9 Years
Sep 10, 2010
Kodak, by knoxville
It`s getting mighty cold at night how do i keep my 8 chickens warm?It`s like 48 degrees at night at it`s highest and 40 degrees at is the coldest but that will change........ So please help how do i keep them warm and how to keep frostbite away please help................

Look at the previous posts about this, very detailed advice offered. Basically, they need to be dry, have ventilation, and do just fine even with below freezing temps.

How old are they? If they're chicks you'll need a secure draft free place and the ability to have a heat lamp that can be well secured. If they are featherd out they just need a secure, dry, draft free but well ventilated (see Pat's ventilation page) coop. They won't need any extra heat at the temps. you describe--We had a patch of low's in the single didgets (unusual for the PNW) last year and mine were all fine in an unheated unisulated coop. They actually have way more problems with high temps then they do with low ones as long as you're not talking about -20 or something.

I live near Boston and I keep a dry, clean Hen house, use a heated waterer and only really need to use the heat lamp when it dips below 10 degrees F. and I only do that to ease my own guilt.

Chickens are very hardy creatures, don't worry too much!

rooster brandon. :

It`s getting mighty cold at night how do i keep my 8 chickens warm?It`s like 48 degrees at night at it`s highest and 40 degrees at is the coldest but that will change........ So please help how do i keep them warm and how to keep frostbite away please help................

I love the Orpingtons too..so fluffy and friendly :)

If you have the above stated, draft free coop, and you have sturdy breeds, some are more tolerant of cold than others, but mine have done just fine at -20, you do not need to add a heat lamp. But when it gets very cold, they need more feed. Send them to bed with full crops. I do not have electricity to my coop, and do not supply extra heat or heated water, and mine did fine all winter. Got eggs even without additional light, if they are laying eggs, they are doing fine. Egg laying is the first thing to quit when an animal is stressed. However, the egg laying will slow down. mk

wow, my water freezes up if I not use the heated base.

When it is really cold, I also give them warm oatmeal..but that's just me..
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom