Please help :(

SilkieBantams2

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 13, 2011
Hi, I just registered and hope this is a start to a new journey with you guys on good news!

I have two gorgeous Silkie Banty's. One's a Silver Partridge and one's a white Silkie. My white one will be 2 this year. They're in separate cages. Silver one is doing just fine and she will be 3 in December.

I feed the kids Purina feed, Egg shells now and then, and Purina Flock Block. I also put Apple Cider frequently in the water. As of yesterday my white hen would keep her head down like it's droopy. She really hasn't ate in the past two days it seems, but touched her water some. Her cage is empty and there's no droppings. Maybe she's constipated?

At 1am this morning, I noticed her doing some weird head shaking and trying to bury her head under her chest. She would keep backing up and then eventually flip because her head would be so far underneath herself. I watched her for a few. At 8am today I put some Flock Block in there and she ate for a good while. She ate real good, more than she has in a few days. She drank a lot too. She walks around just fine for a good while then she's back to doing her head shaking and trying to hide it underneath her. She finally went to the bathroom, but it was a tiny watery running poop which is unlike her. I noticed she finally laid an egg too probably around 9ish.

They are indoor chickens, so they do not have mites. They're no bugs on them. So I'm stuck. Lack of calcium, constipation or egg bound? Or is it something else. Her eyes are clear. If I go to a grocery store what kind of cod liver oil do I purchase? Would that help if she's egg bound or constipated? Her twisting her neck back and forth, and her burying her head so far that she flips is bothering me. Then she will walk around slow, but fine, has me clueless.

I did read if she's constipated a good warm bath will help. I let the water just run and had her propped up just soaking. I did not bathe her for I had to keep her head up from trying to bury it. I kept her in there for about 10 minutes. Then I dried her. I put her back into her cage and finally pooped which was a brownish color, but it was small. Still not a normal dropping, but much better from her earlier water running dropping. She is still doing her head thing. It's now 2:30pm in the afternoon. I don't know how many eggs a chicken can lay in one day, but she did her one today which is a solid egg. So I don't know if its egg bound.

Any help would be great. Maybe get her some certain greens from the store or cod liver oil? Thank you for your time.

First of all,
welcome-byc.gif

Second, I don't know what could be wrong with her, but you will find that this message board has some very knowledgeable people who visit, so hopefully someone will be able to help you out. Have you done a search to see if there have been previous posts that might deal with the twisting neck and burying her head. As far as calcium is concerned, I have oyster shells available at all times and supplement with spinach every day (I know, spoiled hens!).

Good luck and hopefully your little white silkie will be better soon!

Spinach would be a good thing to go get for her. If she is constipated. Does anybody know what kind of Cod liver oil to get from the stores? I want to get something in her where she can get whatever it is out of her system. She needs a good dropping.

First off I have no clue what I'm talking about when it comes to chickens BUT do you think it has something to do with her head instead? I say this because you mentioned the head shaking and head tucking. Can chickens get ear, nose or throat infections? If they can that would explain the head shaking. OP have you searched the boards for the symptoms like "head shaking"? I hope she feels better soon
sad.png
Sorry I wasn't more help lol

I'm not sure and hope others will chime in soon, but it almost sounds like wry neck to me. Silkies seem to be prone to it though it seems to be more common in youngsters. I'd go ahead and start her on a couple of drops of poly-visol infant drops (NO IRON) along the beak a couple of times a day and maybe dribble a vit E softgel along her beak once or twice a day as well. If it is wry neck you'll see some improvement in a day or two and if it's not the extra vits won't hurt anything.

I'm also a big fan of giving sick/injured chooks scrambled eggs. They're full of protien and most birds love them so even if their appetite is "off" you can usually get them to eat enough so that they keep their strength up while you're trying to figure out what is going on.

welcome-byc.gif

welcome-byc.gif
Do you let them outside ? IMO I think chickens should have a outdoor enviroment for their own good health but that is my thoughts. I know my hens will put their heads down and back up when in distress. I'm sure someone can help you

So I can go get any kind of Vitamin E Soft gel? I'll go get some eggs and spinach. I was just wanting some good cod liver oil to help digest the food as well as pass it through her. If she is constipated or lacking certain supplements. Any know what kind of cod liver oil that is safe to get for poultry at the grocery store?

Quote:
If I hold them. I'm up north in the winter states and we are also known for northern mites, ticks. My hens are safe from that. So they need good calcium. Besides oyster shells, I need cod liver oil and I'm trying to find out where to get this.

Last edited:
Quote:
Hey hun, after major research on the net, you're correct. My baby does have wry neck. I've read all kinds of treatments, but successful ones came from this thread and this one in particular.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=253674&p=1

Basically falls under the same method as http://browneggblueegg.com/Article.html

I
will call some vets and see if I can get some prednisone. I need to get some selenium too. I never heard of micrograms. Maybe a vet can help me with measurements. Brown Egg and Blue Egg doesn't say anything about polyvisol. I don't know if that works well with selenium and prednisone. Hopefully this will all work out.

Back
Top Bottom