Please help :(

I am sorry if I have insulted you in any way that is not or my intentions. I wish you well with your silkies. I know that you care for them or you would not have asked for help:hugs

Ohh Indiana lol I went to high school in Frankfort KY and spent a good amount of time in the Louisville/Clarksville area, any chance you're around there? I miss Kroger but I miss Meijiers more! lol Just keep her going momma I'm thinking she'll pull thru for you cause you're an awesome caregiver
smile.png
I can't wait till my silkies show up! My #1 pick for my first chicks of my very own
love.gif
Curious if you don't eat the eggs or sell them what do you do with them? Let them hatch babies?? BTW how's the weather?

When I was looking for Poly-vi-sol, I had to ask the Pharmacist where it was - bottom shelf of the pharmacy vitamin shelves. - So you might ask, I do not have kids so had never hear of it
idunno.gif

Hoping your silkie girl recovers quickly
fl.gif

Yes, I'm 5 minutes from Clarksville and Louisville. I'm right next door in New Albany, IN. It's about 53 degrees now. Looks like the weather is finally letting up and going warm
smile.png

UPDATE: I couldn't get the syringe in her and honestly she is a real wiggle butt. The great thing is she loves taking it from my hand. My husband just got home and said put the B liquid on a spoon. Sure enough the little squirt gobbled it all up off the spoon. Ain't that something.

Right now she's walking around and at the food bowl eating her Purina crumbles. I'm so proud of her and looks like she is going to be ok.

Hi all. Been reading this with interest as one of my 10 month old Brahma girls has a similar problem as regards the neck thing. It started with her having one eye closed and her neck at a wierd angle. Over the next few days I isolated her just in case, gave lots of TLC and bathed her eye with cooled black tea. Don't think it helped because it turns out it wasn't an infection, but a cataract! I've heard that Brahmas have a genetic predisposition to cataracts and crooked toes, so I realised it wouldn't get better, and thought that the neck twisty thing was just due to her feeling skewiff from having only one eye working. After a few days her eye was not shut all the time anymore, and looked normal apart from the cloudy cataract. I reintroduced her to the flock but it became apparent that she wasn't happy and would hardly eat or drink anything. She would go and sit inside the henhouse all day. The others picked on her something chronic. Eventually yesterday I decided I had to step in or she would just die, she seems to have lost the will to live, move, eat, drink, or anything. If she does move, she staggers a bit and seems continually trying to correct her balance. Even jumping down from a height of a couple of feet,(normally no problem) she can't land on her feet and just lands on her face, the poor thing.So I have again isolated her, and have been feeding her a little off my hand, but she's hardly interested. She does maybe one poop a day, if that, and the poop looks normal to my inexpert eyes. If she tries to eat out of her feeder she can't seem to get her head low enough or at the right angle to get anything. What's interesting is that just this morning I examined her (she feels very thin) and felt a big lump on the front of her neck. At first I thought it was an enlarged crop but I was horrified to realise it's actually her neck crooked at a horrible angle. Looking at her from the left side it's like the shape of a 2, it's really nasty. I hadn't noticed it before because Brahmas are so loosely feathered, so I have no idea how long her neck's been like that. Maybe from day 1 of her problems? After having done a bit of research online I've come to the conclusion that it's probably down to vitamin deficiency, notably thiamin. Apparently if you give some thiamin to the chicken, within a few hours you should see signs of improvement, and if you don't notice a change, then hey presto, then thiamin is not your problem. So I've just given her a few little shreds of bread heaped with marmite, and she gobbled them down instantly. Interesting that she has an appetite for that and not the rice, plain bread, corn, etc. I hope it's a good sign that this is the right treatment for her. So now I just have to wait and HOPE HARD that she picks up. You know what else I found fascinating? I read that thiamine deficiency in humans can cause cataracts..... I wonder if this has been the problem all along???
I can't wait to hear good news about yours, it seems good so far, doesn't it.
Thanks for reading my waffle, if anyone has had similar troubles and found useful treatments, I'm all ears.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom