please help

wpage1979

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 2, 2012
Tarboro, NC
I just got 3 8 week old chickens, and I am going to get 5 more tomorrow. I have been throwing feed on an old barrel top, is there something wrong with that, and do i need a feeder? and with my 8 chickens, would a 1 gallon waterer be good for the chickens? I am outside feeding and watering them every day, and I want to make sure I am doing this correctly. Thanks for any advice.

you should be ok with the gallon waterer i would get a feeder. it will pay for it self. less wast. tsc has got them. for about 8 bucks. for your size flock.

welcome-byc.gif

I think you may want a feeder since chickens scratch a lot and will clear the lid you have in no time. They may not be able to find all the food they have flung around. It may end up wasting food and leaving the chicks hungry. My grown hen likes to fling the mulch out from under the tree and it goes about 6 feet when she is really at it.

The water is another issue when it is hot out. I know my 8 will go through a lot more than a gallon in a day. An inexpensive option may be to get a dishpan to fill with water once they are a bit bigger. It would be too deep for them now.

The feed store near us has water dishes for only about 5 dollars and they hold 5 quarts. They are not so tall that they would not work for 8 week old chicks.

Just my thoughts on it.
Congrats on the new undertaking.

Back
Top Bottom