Please help!

Vickilynn45

Songster
7 Years
Apr 16, 2012
I have a Black Australorp that from day one has refused to lay in the nesting boxes. I have locked her in the coop and she just screams and flies around frantically. She chose a spot in my garden that was dark and quiet to lay each egg. Now the garden is picked over, and she no longer has that favorite spot. Plus winter is coming and I don't think she'll be coming out much during that time because of the cold temps. She goes to my windows every day when she needs to lay and she screams for me to come out and help her find a spot. I try putting her in her nesting boxes, I've tried all sorts of ideas but nothing is working. She gets really loud and panicky and I just don't know what to do. I live in town and don't want her causing too much of a ruckus. It's stressful for her and for me being that I'm a first-time chicken owner and don't know how to handle these situations. My other chickens lay in the boxes. Do I just lock her in the coop and try and ignore the noise till she figures it out?

I wanted to add that lately she will lay close to the raised bed garden if I create a quiet spot with a sheet over it. But even then she fusses for hours and finally goes in and uses that area. I want her to lay in her box, I don't want the stress of calming her each day and making a "safe" spot for her.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom