Please Help

I would give it just a little time if no improvement, in the past I would take a paper towel with warm water and wipe the gunk off that is hindering the chick. I do this as quickly as possible and in as warm a place I can.

Often times though the chick does not make it long term, but some have. Internal issues or something just not right with the chick.

Good Luck.

I would give it just a little time if no improvement, in the past I would take a paper towel with warm water and wipe the gunk off that is hindering the chick. I do this as quickly as possible and in as warm a place I can.

Often times though the chick does not make it long term, but some have. Internal issues or something just not right with the chick.

Good Luck.

Could the humidity itself be to high causing a gunky chick? I've never incubated/hatched anything period, but just from what I've read could this be a possibility?

I hope this chick makes it!

I broke some of the shell of this chick because it had lots of crust and gunk on it and last time this happened the chick died within a day is their any thing I can do?
I had a lot of experience with gunky chicks before I figured out that my humidity was too high during incubation...assuming the gunk is the only thing going on, and there aren't any other issues, I would wash the chick as soon as possible, and replace in the bator to dry before it gets chilled. Gunk exposed to air, even humid air in the bator quickly turns to shellac, and can hinder the chick's movement, cause the wings to be stuck to the body, prevent it from straightening it's neck, etc. etc. You have to be quick, but I would run it under warm water (of course just the body, keep the head & beak away from the water), dry immediately with paper towel, and back into the bator. If there is a lot of gunk, wiping with a damp paper towel won't do it, esp if it's already dried some. Good luck, let us know what happens!

Yeah, the gunk is caused by humidity being too high during the beginning parts of incubation, then once you get to lockdown humidity being too low, plus the gunk results in stuck chicks.

My thinking is that if the humidity were to high it wld cause the chick to be a moist mess. However, I suppose you could look at it as the humidity drops and the yolk/fluid inside becomes to dry and turns to gunk?? Initially I would think high humidity.

Back
Top Bottom