Please Help

Ashley Trower

Hatching
6 Years
May 1, 2013
Missouri
Okay I have four ducklings. I'm not sure how old they were when I got them it think they were two weeks and that was on April 15th. I house them in a plastic tub with either fresh sheets or towels for bedding. I feed them about two times a day ( some bird feed we got from the guy we bought them from with water to make it mushy) and sometimes some little pieces of lettuce or flowers. I always keep a bowl of fresh water in their pen. I also let them outside in a 5 by 4 pen when its nice outside otherwise they are in the house. I have a regular 60 watt light bulb over them at night. But tonight one of them was panting so I took it off and sat them under a tall house lamp.I also let them swim in about 5 inches of bathtub water before bed eachnight.Im just wondering if im doing this right?? Please somebody give me any suggestions. Thank you.

Okay I have four ducklings. I'm not sure how old they were when I got them it think they were two weeks and that was on April 15th. I house them in a plastic tub with either fresh sheets or towels for bedding. I feed them about two times a day ( some bird feed we got from the guy we bought them from with water to make it mushy) and sometimes some little pieces of lettuce or flowers. I always keep a bowl of fresh water in their pen. I also let them outside in a 5 by 4 pen when its nice outside otherwise they are in the house. I have a regular 60 watt light bulb over them at night. But tonight one of them was panting so I took it off and sat them under a tall house lamp.I also let them swim in about 5 inches of bathtub water before bed eachnight.Im just wondering if im doing this right?? Please somebody give me any suggestions. Thank you.
Sounds like they may have been too warm, here is a link to info on caring for ducklings, and at 4 weeks your probably would be fine without heat unless your house is cold. they would probably do fine at around 70* but when bath time is over make sure they are able to stay warm till they are completely dry. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711 and
welcome-byc.gif

yeah, I agree, at 4 weeks old they don't need a heat lamp..depending on your weather..and be careful what kind of flowers you're feeding them, some flowers are toxic to animals.

I agree does sound like their a bit warm, ducklings don't require the heat level chicks do. I would also look at the food, mushy food especially as they get older gets harder for them to eat, my 7wk olds are on a grower pellet but their are various foods available.

Last edited:
If your going to feed them anything else above the normal chick food, make sure they have grit so they can process it.

Back
Top Bottom