Please help!!!!

lins

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 6, 2013
Hyde cheshire
We have just bought 3 hens 3 wks ago from somebody , and that x battery hens, so we don't know how old thay are. Little may us off colour not really eating, but drinking water. She just is so sleepy and doesn't seem intreasted in anything, her croop is empty and you can feel her breast bone. Mays comb is limp and pink instead of red. I just wondered if anyone can help me? I don't want to lose her is it ok to give her a egg mix that you give baby birds ?????

It sounds like it could be either worms or Coccidiosis. Coccidiosis causes lethargy, sleepiness, sometiimes bloody diarrhea, and lack of appetite. It usually affects younger birds, however. The treatment for Coccidiosis is Corid.

In my opinion, its more likely that she has worms. Worms will cause lethargy and thinness. It is not usually a good idea to worm sick chickens, but it might be the only thing that could save your bird. Safeguard dewormer for goats would be best, but Valbazen would work too (but would be harder on the bird than Safeguard).

In the meantime, get her to eat. Scrambled eggs, yogurt, and applesauce are all good ideas. Try some moistened chicken feed as well. Sugar water would give her more energy.

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom