PLEASE HELP!

monroeblonde09

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 8, 2014
Good olé Texas
My hen is 11 weeks old and i caught her and her "sister" fighting over watermelon. Well I noticed their combs are red like they got sunburned. I had their small pool out there for them cause it was hot today but also windy. It was partially in the sun and shade. Anyways I put vaseline on it and washed their combs and feet before bed. I noticed on my larger hen that she had blood. I looked on her neck under feathers and there is an opened wound! She keeps clawing at it so I put gauze and medical tape around her after i cleaned with hydrogen peroxide and she has stopped scratching that area. I have her with the other 2 and they haven't pecked her. I have no money for a vet. Should I isolate her tomorrow right when they wake up. I tried to isolate her tonight but none of them were having that.they all started calling each other and jumped to get out of their bed. I do bring them in at night so i know they are safe even though they have a safe enclosed home outside. I am so afraid to lose her! I love them so much! Also can too much watermelon give them loose stool. I would assume it would. They eat normal starter feed everyday. I just gave them frozen watermelon a couple of times today.

I agree with the other person who replied...you need to get that hen separated asap. As for the watermelon, was there just one big piece they were all fighting over? I have found with special treats that I need to "chunk them up" into several pieces and place them apart from each other...that way the ladies don't get crazy!! Best of luck and I hope your hen heals quickly!

Thank you both so much for the advice! I will separate her right away! It was one huge piece but I put in 2 more pieces a few min after! They just got it after the watermelon. They had normal poo before. From solid poo to soft poo. It varies with them.

Well i got up before dawn and checked on my littler Gertrude. I changed her bandage i have on her and cleaned it and put ointment on it. She ate and drank water like normal. I looked at the wound and it was opened still but it looked a lot better than it did last night. I have some penicillin pills from my husband's ear infection a while back and if i need to i can give to her if necessary. So far it looks promising on her recovery.

You can use Vetericyn on that wound, too. It comes in spray bottles and from I've learned really helps in the healing process.

Keep us informed of her progress!!

she wanted to take a selfie. Lol

Back
Top Bottom