1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please I need help!!!!!!! Quick!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rose98, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Rose98

Rose98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    18 bantam eggs at day 19........ 1 hatched and I removed it from the incubator as it was rolling pipped eggs and I have lost them before when they are rolled and pipped....
    No action in the 3 pipped eggs that it was rolling, but since then more have pipped and on is starting to zip. It has done about 1cm in an hour....it know is making the calling noise they make when they are upset.......
    I feel that I have messed this whole hatch!!!!!!
    Please is their anything I can do???? Is it possibly shrink wrapped....

2. sparrker

sparrker Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    Baldwinsville, NY
    Don't open incubator. They will live 3 days on their yolk sac. Opening it does put them at risk of shrink wrapping and once that happens it is to late. I am not sure but I don't think you can help a shrink wrapped chick, they absorb the yolk sac while the are working their way out of the eggs.

3. sparrker

Aug 12, 2011
    Baldwinsville, NY
    I place my eggs in clean cardboard egg cartons with the bottoms cut off. No rolling into others. Some people don't like that, but it works for me

4. Rose98

Dec 12, 2014
    What do you suggest????

5. sparrker

Aug 12, 2011
    Baldwinsville, NY
    Let nature take its course. But don't open your incubator till day 3 unless they all have hatched. You don't want to shrink wrap any more. And the ones that aren't doing anything could just be resting, it is very exhausting for the little chick to work its way out of the shell.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  6. Rose98

Dec 12, 2014
    Thanks....

7. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Yes, all you can do right now is sit on your hands and let them do the work (and don't open the incubator again). ;) Those first few might be ok and just resting for awhile, like sparrker said. Just make sure the humidity is kept up.

How long has it been since those first few externally pipped? It takes a long time to hatch, so don't worry just yet. Try to keep calm. ^-^

8. Rose98

Dec 12, 2014
    ok, think i'll go to bed..... past midnight.....
    Just checked it again through the plastic of the incubator.....you can see blood around the opening of where it has zipped....
    Since then one of the first ones has hatched.... But he is staying in the incubator till the end of the hatch.....
    Do u think I should check it in a few hours or maybe just leave this one????
    Thanks for all your help..

9. frillydishes

frillydishes Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2014
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I have a little different view of the hatching process but I don't necessarily recommend my way either. I usually fill my incubator so they're packed in there come hatch time and I take the chicks out as they hatch. I keep a spray/mist bottle close by and as soon as I crack the top I spray everything down and only open it enough to get the little guy out as quickly as possible. When you've got 40+ eggs in one little box and 30 of those hatch it makes it pretty difficult for the rest still waiting to hatch. Every hatch I have to deal with one or two that get shrink wrapped and I'll take them out, make sure there's no membrane stuck to their feathers and remove any membrane inhibiting their movement, cover them loosely with a wet paper towel and put them back to finish hatching on their own. It get's worrisome but some chicks will take a full day after they pip so it's best to keep your hands busy and only check every couple hours or when you hear something banging around in there. Hope it goes well for you!!

10. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    My advice is to just get some sleep and leave them be. They can stay in the incubator for up to 3 days without food or water. They really shouldn't be taken out of the incubator before they are fully dry either, which takes about a day. Good luck with the rest of your hatch! Post pics when they're all out, ok?

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by