Please ... I'd like your input about breeding!

Sorry about so many questions! But, thank you for at least answering!

I've actually ruled out the Speckled Sussex rooster, as they are "sold out" via Ideal hatchery who has Chanteclers - which I'd really like.
This morning I found my Blue Andalusian rooster who had HUGE combs and wattles, with a one wattle that was frostbitten and swollen.
It was probably caused when drinking out of the heated water bucket when it was -6 degree outside (even though it was much warmer in the coop).
So, I definitely want to go with a rooster that has smaller combs and wattles.
I thought of the Buckeyes, but I don't like that they require more protein that other chickens. Otherwise, I'd be getting some of those, too.
So, I think I've narrowed it down to getting 2 Buff & 2 Partridge Chantecler and 2 GLW Roosters, and growing them out to select the best ones.

Thank you for all your help and I'll probably keep everyone updated on how it goes on my website or BYC.

I thought of the Buckeyes, but I don't like that they require more protein that other chickens.

Ideal is sold out until May 2012 of Straight Run and Pullet Speckled Sussex and it's only the middle of January. Oh, wow. This whole chicken thing is getting crazy with us having to order earlier and earlier each year.

So sorry about your Andalusian fellow.

I did not feed my couple of Buckeyes the extra protein like everyone says they need. I think that recommendation is silly+. Juvenile layers should not be kept on 28% protein from weeks 8 up until they lay. It's too much protein for a juvenile layer. If they're going to show the bird at poultry shows, then fine, feed them up or whatever or if they want to eat the bird at 12 weeks. It's true that before 6 or 8 weeks protein needs for all chicks are higher, but I only provide 20% protein feed during weeks 1-6 or 8, then switch to 16% or 17% to get a slower growth for the juvenile layers. Of course, they're out on grass, so who knows what they're eating out there.

Buckeyes are chickens like any other basic chicken and don't need 28% protein feed to grow up to be normal functioning chickens. If you want some, do get some. Either way, though, you'll be fine. But I don't think that the folks making that high protein recommendation realize how many people don't get Buckeyes just because they think they'd have to make special feed arrangements.

Your rooster choices sound good to me. Yes, do keep us updated! It will be fun to see your little beauties next spring.

Back
Top Bottom