Please look at photo and advise!

Wow! Lots of great info! Thanks to all! I will try piercing the bubble in the morning once I have the proper things on hand. I certainly dont want to aggavate the situation and cause infection.

As for feed... I have tried everything! I have been giving her a variety of choices trying to tempt her. Chopped egg, moist crumbles, cream of wheat (she seems to like this the best), banana, strawberries, greens. With the exception of yesterday she has not eaten on her own.

I received all 34 of my chicks monday; they were shipped saturday from McM. I've lost 4 but they seemed traumatized from shipping. This chick with the bubble is a third the size of the others. *When* she recovers from this will she catch up with them? With the exception of a little pasty butt the other 29 are doing great!

I am using pine shavings and keeping her at 90 degrees. I reduced the temp because she kept moving to the opposite side of her crate away from the light.

I'm using Durvet vitamins and electrolites in her water.

Thanks again! I will let you know how it goes!

best to cover up the shavings with a towel or ribbed paper towels..
sometimes they eat the bedding and impact the crop..

if they have an air sac injury..they don't feel well and won't eat..

fingers crossed and hope she does better.

might have to keep her divided with another docile chick or 2 so she doesn't get bullied..and an extra feeder would help.
she needs to "bulk up"..

I wouldn't give her a lot of the treats unless you give her grit. Try to keep her on the crumbles, you can moisten them for better taste and give her boiled eggs chopped up-they like the yolk the best. Avoid the other stuff that needs grit. Yogurt is okay too.

I decided not to wait til morning. I wasnt sure she'd make it thru the nite if I did. I peirced the skin but there was no hiss of air. Instead foamy liquid started coming from her beak. Then she acted like she had hiccups. I put neosporin on the puncture and put her in a crate separate from the others. Its about 92 degrees. Hopefully she'll make it.

Just make sure you don't use the neosporin with the pain reliever in it. Chickens don't do well with anything ending in "caine"

Saying a prayer for your chicky.

If you can possibly do so , most decent petstores will have "baby parrot formula" which is a powder you mix with water (to feed baby parrots) >>> get that and make it to the consistency of the cream of wheat and mix that in with her (preferably medicated)starter... this will concentrate the nutrition (the polyvisol give for a week then taper off the next)... cut out the treats (except for a bit of live culture yogurt offered free choise or as a dollop on the feed mix)... the bird needs her balanced nutrition provided in the starter.

Back
Top Bottom