Please Post Pictures of Your Creative Nesting Boxes

Quote:
I actually don't. I used to, but I had a rat snake get in once and swallow a fake egg. I couldn't get him to "throw it up"either...so he died. I felt horrible.

I don't have pictures but we are using some shipping crates (the local gas stations ship boiled peanuts in). The are light weight and I figure when i clean out the coop from the litter at spring I will just get new crates! I do think they let too much light in, but they are nice and roomy!

Here's mine
63768_pb300089.jpg

Quote:
I actually don't. I used to, but I had a rat snake get in once and swallow a fake egg. I couldn't get him to "throw it up"either...so he died. I felt horrible.

So nice to see such empathy! Most people would be happy to kill something that was after their eggs.

Here's mine. Made from some 30 gallon containers, which my sister gave me. She buys some kind of molasses lick for her cattle. I just cut the bottom off with sawzall, and built the accomadating box.

The one, in the corner, is a complete tub, just laid on edge.

32991_img_2023.jpg

I found that once I covered them, the hens were far less likely to run off somewhere, in the bushes and try to lay...I think it gives them a feeling of security.
32991_img_2025.jpg

Here's my original nest box....The hens finally abandonned it, and I couldn't figure out why, until I went to move it, and discovered some mice had made a nice home in the tub.

32991_img_1344.jpg

Last edited:
No pics, but I have the bottom of a kitty litter pan, the top of one, a homemade wooden box used to cover an old Singer sewing machine, an ancient wooden utility box that I turned on its side and put a divider in to make two nests about 18" wide, a plastic walmart type bin that has a cutout in the front and no top, and two pieces of scrap board that are maybe 24"x24" leaned against the coop wall. Their favorite nest varies from week to week. They will also wallow out a hole on the floor, if there is enough straw in one place to do it, and use that. Once in a while they just pick a corner of the coop. Only twice have they laid outside the coop, that I have ever found or suspected; in both cases it was a broody making a clutch.

I always chuckle when I see exterior nest boxes. No way I would find all the eggs if I had them and didn't go inside.

Back
Top Bottom