Please read .1 hatched chick but no more other pips ?

emzgogo

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 28, 2013
Ulverston,England
Hello all this is my 1st hatch which was done in my homemade incubator It has done a fantastic job with humidity and temps sometimes alittle on the low side ( early mornings but cover with blanket then goes bk up). Anyway had my 1st pip yesterday about half an hour before the 21st day ended (14.00 GMT)and she hatched 9am GMT on day 22 ( i didnt really exspect anything to start till the 22nd day because of the times it was on the low side). Anyway there has been no noises e.i scratching chirping to suggest there is a interior pip and cant see any exterior pip. Is there still a chance that i may have a couple of the others to hatch there are 9 left in the incubator. As you can tell im very anxious at the moment and just hope for atleast one more so the chick has a friend. Any replys would truly be very greatful. Or from anyone who has had a chick hatch and still no sign of others wanting to move from the comfort of there shells :). Thank you to all x

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

Though the incubation time for chicks are always given as 21 days, chicks sometimes hatch a day or two sooner or later. I had chicks hatch on days 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 and 25 and the day 25 chick was under a broody hen! If your temperatures were a bit low now and then it may have played a part in delaying the hatch, so don't worry yet. Give them another day and if there is no sign of life by then candle the eggs (check for a beak in the air sac) and/or hold them against your ear and tap them with your fingernail, then listen for a response. Good luck!

Thank you for your reply. I am trying not to worry yet but i just cant help myself just gone onto day 23 now. Just hope that one or two starts to pip internally soon. I just dont understand how i have a chick that is 6hrs old now and eggs that haven't even pip internally yet:/. Keep going over and seeing if i can hear anything but nothing yet. Is it ok leaving the chick in there as she has been over the eggs a couple times or would it help keeping her in there chirping as then hopefully the others hear and get a move on? thank you

She'll be o.k. in the incubator for now. I've noticed that other chick's chirping and antics seem to motivate unhatched chicks to get going, but they will still come out when they are ready and not a moment sooner. If you are on day 23 I'd give them a few more hours before investigating.

I was going to leave them until tomorrow afternoon/evening and if nothings happened then maybe give them a little candle and see what going on in there. With this being my 1st hatch i cant keep still like a cat on a hot tin roof lol. thank you tho i wont touch them for a while yet x

Back
Top Bottom