Please read and help a newbie... When do I get rid of the extras??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by abovenbeyond, Jan 11, 2009.

1. abovenbeyond

abovenbeyond New Egg

Jan 11, 2009
    Hello all,
    First time poster here... My daughter and wife have recently gotten into chickens. We bought some (5) straight run Black Cochin chicks when they were about a week old. They are probably about 10-12 weeks old now and it looks like 3 are roosters because they have more of the read deal on their heads then the other 2 (a lot more).

So here are my questions...

With likely only 2 (would be) hens when do we slim down the roosters?

How many roosters is safe to have?

How many hens/roosters should we have?
    (we were thinking about 6+1)

When and how can I for sure tell the females from the males?

Thank you in advance.
    Kevin

2. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:Hi Kevin and ladies [​IMG]

Hen:Rooster ratio could be 8/10 :1 If you don't plan to incubate and have fertilized eggs you do not need a rooster at all!

You could post pictures here and many will give you their opinion on sex of the bird! Usually the red "deal" called a "comb" is taller in boys, their waddles (especially in cochins) is longer also.

Post some pictures, we'll let you know...
    Christina

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  3. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Hi and WELCOME to the world of chicken addicts!!! [​IMG] You can rehome your boys anytime you feel like it. Probably better before they start "feeling their oats," if you get my drift. They say 10 hens to 1 rooster is best so that he has enough girls that he doesn't wear them out. However, many roosters have a favorite and that poor hen suffers greatly. I agree with the other poster. Don't have any roosters and the hens will be MUCH happier. And, also, then you can have as few hens as you desire. (However, don't count on a low amount - Once you start with chickens, it's awfully hard to quit!!!) [​IMG]

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    You could adopt them out or send them to "freezer camp" [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I would not do any more than one rooster with 8 girls. My rooster is with 11 hens and everyone is good [​IMG]

6. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Your in luck. Cochins are pretty easy to sex at that age, so post some pictures on what Breed, Gender forum and I am sure you will get the results soon. [​IMG]

7. abovenbeyond

abovenbeyond New Egg

Jan 11, 2009
    I am thinking this is a rooster?

[​IMG]

Less sure about this one and I have 2 like this but I think it's a rooster too?

[​IMG]

Then I have 2 that look just like this...

[​IMG]

What do you all think?

8. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    yep! I think you're right on the mark! 2 pullets and 3 cockerals. Ah me! Post on Buy-Sell-Trade-Giveaway and you might be lucky and get some takers. Where do you live??

9. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    I am going to disagree--roosters can be such fun! If you are able to keep a roo I vote that you keep all of them until you know what kind of temperament they have. Then keep the one that is gentlest and protective of the hens. If he becomes a problem, and bothers the hens to much, you can rehome him later. But don't miss out on having a nice roo if at all possible!

BTW [​IMG]

10. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Quote:[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by