Please Review Coop Design and Comment

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by volleypc, Aug 9, 2010.

1. volleypc

volleypc Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2010
    I am working on a chicken tractor. This coop will be 4x4. This is a profile view of the house looking from the run. Please review and make comments. I will have a door in the back for access and the roof above the next box will be accessible. From what I have learned on this site, it is better to have the roost above the next box, and if possible, not above the door. Let me know if you see any problems with this design. Again, it will be 4 foot deep and the run will be 8 foot long.

[​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

That pix looks good.

How many chickens are you planning on having?

Keep in mind that anything under the roosts will get pooped on.

Have fun building

Imp

3. volleypc

volleypc Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2010
    One thing I did not include in this is the height of the roost.... my understanding is that it should not be more than 24"? I will make sure I keep the next box below this elevation as well.

This will be part of a chicken tractor. I have 5 pullets and 5 straight run. I estimate I will end up with 7 hens and keep one rooster... Maybe 8 hens and 1 rooster. The run will be 12 foot by 4 foot (4 of which will be under the coop).
    Thanks for taking the time to comment Imp. I know there will be things I wish I had done differently, but I want to at least make the effort to do it right the first time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by