Please sex these birds

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by twinkiemomma, May 14, 2016.

1. twinkiemomma

twinkiemomma Just Hatched

May 13, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    Please tell me they are all hens!?? I have a BR and two RIR. Thank you. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Funny story my twins named this one Roo. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My reds Tess and Sadie

2. Wishapup

Wishapup Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Canada
    Looks like you have 1 RIR rooster (on the left in the bottom pic) and 1 RIR pullet, but with the lighting it's hard to see how red the combs are. BR is suspicious.

3. twinkiemomma

May 13, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    What makes you say rooster to the RIR? Why is the BR on the fence? I need help. Other wise I may end up with one chicken. Which she will get lonely. [​IMG]

4. Wishapup

May 1, 2013
    Canada
    Did you get these from a feed store, hatchery, or other? Did they come sexed?

The RIR on the left has a red and prominent comb. Pullets typically have pale combs until they get close to laying age.

The BR also has a redder comb than I would expect to see on a pullet. However, it has the slate going down the front of the legs and the blurred barring typical of females. I can see it going either way. Could you post another picture of the face? A picture showing all three combs would also be good for comparison. It's been a while since I had juvenile BRs.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

They look to be around 8 weeks old? They're all pullets.

6. twinkiemomma

May 13, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    They are about 8 weeks old. We're told day old chicks and picked up 3/31. I'm posting photos now. Hard to get all three in a photo looking. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Wishapup

May 1, 2013
    Canada
    yes, they look like females [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by