Please show me your rabbit hutches!

Here are their cages.

The cages are in this covered shed.

Neat!!

I am looking to raise meat rabbits and this likes a great way to house them. We live in Maine and can get really brutal winters...lots of snow this past winter. This looks very winter friendly. Few questions:

1. What about summer? This looks like it would be VERY hot...I've read rabbits don't like hot
2. So...they are directly in the cages? No bedding or anything under feet/over hardwire cloth? This would work great with droppings but...ok on their feet? Especially in winter?
3. How BIG are the cages...typical that I've seen advertised for rabbits is 2 x 2
4. How do you house them...one cage for each rabbit? What do you do with babies once weaned? Do they EACH get a cage...or one for all of them...if for all...how big?

THANKS
big_smile.png

These are my hutches. This one my husband built. He built the one on the right, then added the left one after. They are meant for single rabbits or a few growing weanlings. I also have regular large wire cages for the summer so they can be on fresh grass during the day.

This is my main hutch. A converted dog run ironically. It's split into three roomy hutches.

Here's the one smaller run for my main mama rabbit.

Here is the end that opens, you can see where it's split between her and the other doe.

She doesn't like me mucking about when she has babies...
somad.gif

This is the big side with my nosy doe.

And her huge nest box.

Opps! This is what happens when I read these things on my phone. Sorry kuntrygirl! That question was for you. I like the suspended crates - could safe me a lot of space.

Neat!!

I am looking to raise meat rabbits and this likes a great way to house them.  We live in Maine and can get really brutal winters...lots of snow this past winter.  This looks very winter friendly.  Few questions:

1.  What about summer?  This looks like it would be VERY hot...I've read rabbits don't like hot
2.  So...they are directly in the cages?  No bedding or anything under feet/over hardwire cloth?  This would work great with droppings but...ok on their feet?  Especially in winter?
3.  How BIG are the cages...typical that I've seen advertised for rabbits is 2 x 2
4.  How do you house them...one cage for each rabbit?  What do you do with babies once weaned?  Do they EACH get a cage...or one for all of them...if for all...how big?

Thanks.

No, it's not hot in the summer. It is VERY well ventilated. I live in HOT South Louisiana where temps can be in the 3 digits on some days. This shed is under a big ole tree and it gets A LOT of shade, so that helps at all. I have never lost a rabbit due to anything (heat, etc). If for a second, I though they were hot, I would be calling an electrician to put in a central unit for them. LOL :lau

Yes, they are directly in the cages. They rest on the rabbit pads so their feet won't be on wire 24/7. The pads are a VERY thick plastic "mat" with large open sections that allow the poop and urine to fall right through. I don't have any foot problems.

My cages are EXTRA big. I don't have the regular sized cages. I will have to measure to give you the exact measurements. Each rabbit her cage. When it's breeding time, I pair them up for a bit and then back to their own cage. Once the babies are weaned, they go to other cages (not pictured). The babies are all in a LARGE cage for a while. I would say about a 3 months or so. At that time, they are usually sold or the males are processed. They aren't in the cage too long. I will also measure the large cage that they are in and let you know.

Opps! This is what happens when I read these things on my phone. Sorry kuntrygirl! That question was for you. I like the suspended crates - could safe me a lot of space.

Thanks. I LOVE the suspended cages. It works perfect. Not only does it save space but I put plastic totes under the cages and collect the poop for my garden or sell as fertilizer. And I do clean the cages out because the fur sometimes gets stuck in between and sometimes poop does as well. All I do is (after removing the rabbits) from the cages, is go in with my house and a sprayer on the end and blast the cages with water. Takes less than 10 minutes and the cages look brand spanking new. Sooooooooooo easy as far as the set up. As far as what gage hardware cloth, I'm not sure. I had these cages built about 10 years ago by an old man who breed rabbits (70+ years old). He knew EVERYTHING there was to know about rabbits. I can check on the gage hardware cloth and let you know. Sorry that I don't have that information.

Back
Top Bottom