Please show me your winter water setups!!!!

Stephanie8806

Songster
5 Years
Feb 18, 2019
Central Washington State
Need help, and collecting ideas. I love in Zone 5b, north central Washington state. Needing some ideas for keeping water thawed and accessible during cold winters.

Right now, I have a metal double walled fount and metal heater base... but I’m having leaking/sealing problems with the waterer. I’m inclined to think that a large container with nipples and a stock tank warmer might be my best option, but I’m uncertain if the nipples will stick in the most frigid days(0 degrees Fahrenheit or maybe below).

Please share your ideas/setups!

I use an 11 gallon tote with lid, 4 horizontal nipples, and a 250 watt stock tank deicer. I live in NW Montana and the water has stayed thawed. It goes into the -20s F on some nights during a normal winter. My birds have always had thawed water. On one occasion one of the nipples was not working right. The birds just used one of the other 3 nipples.

With a dozen birds you can go at least a week between filling. The lid keeps the water clean. I bought a semi clear tote so I could easily see the water level.

Attachments

• heater.jpg
    heater.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 14
I use a 80w bucket heater. They are small livestock water deicers but use a heck of a lot less energy. Birdbath deicers work too. With bucket heaters ensure it has thermostat to auto shut down 50F. Some types of bucket heaters are meant to get water hot.

Use to use those plastic heated water dispensers. Tried several brands and everyone of them would not work second year. Black rubber livestock bowls work great. Turn over to stomp out ice and the black keeps water thawed well below freezing. Have two 2 quart bowls. Now have 2 gallon rubber bowl with 80w deicer for harshest winter days. 40w would probably not worked on the few -30F days we get here, the 80 says it will keep up to 17 gallons thawed but at what temp? 0F probably so that's closer to 4 gallons at my extreme temps.

I use Farm Innovations submersible plug-in heaters in 5 gallon buckets with nipple waterers.

The heaters only kick in at near freezing temps and keep the water ice free and nipples flowing no problem.

Not the cheapest setup, but it’s been genuinely life changing not dealing with frozen water and hauling fresh water multiple times per day.

I ran two of these the last two winters...will be up to 4 this winter with larger flock. I figure if I carry out two gallons of water a day, I should keep them good and full.

A five gallon bucket with horizontal nipples. In the run. The bucket has a farm innovators 250 watt submersible heater. Each morning I work check to make sure the HNs are still functioning. This setup has worked flawlessly. We occasionally get down to negative Fahrenheit.

Attachments

• water.jpg
    water.jpg
    524 KB · Views: 18
  • farm innovator 250.JPG
    farm innovator 250.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 19
  • cold.JPG
    cold.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 20
I use an 11 gallon tote with lid, 4 horizontal nipples, and a 250 watt stock tank deicer. I live in NW Montana and the water has stayed thawed. It goes into the -20s F on some nights during a normal winter. My birds have always had thawed water. On one occasion one of the nipples was not working right. The birds just used one of the other 3 nipples.

With a dozen birds you can go at least a week between filling. The lid keeps the water clean. I bought a semi clear tote so I could easily see the water level.

This is good to know! The stock tank driver we used for our horse was placed inside a metal water trough... there’s no risk of these melting a plastic container, is there?

A five gallon bucket with horizontal nipples. In the run. The bucket has a farm innovators 250 watt submersible heater. Each morning I work check to make sure the HNs are still functioning. This setup has worked flawlessly. We occasionally get down to negative Fahrenheit.

Thank you! This is extremely helpful!
This year we used a bucket with waterer cups in the side. We knew it wouldn’t work for winter.
Your coop is so cute!

I use Farm Innovations submersible plug-in heaters in 5 gallon buckets with nipple waterers.

The heaters only kick in at near freezing temps and keep the water ice free and nipples flowing no problem.

Not the cheapest setup, but it’s been genuinely life changing not dealing with frozen water and hauling fresh water multiple times per day.

I ran two of these the last two winters...will be up to 4 this winter with larger flock. I figure if I carry out two gallons of water a day, I should keep them good and full.

Thank you!
I’m not too worried about money, the metal fount and heater base I bought and will now probably not be using totaled $100. I don’t mind spending money if it works!

Back
Top Bottom