please stop your chickens from freezing to death

In most of the threads you are reading I guarantee there are underlying issues. The keepers won't admit or don't know it, but there is. Chickens don't freeze to death in even frigid, well below zero temperatures unless there are extenuating circumstances. Unfortunately, those threads where people claim their "perfectly healthy, perfectly well taken care of" chickens "froze to death" create panic in those that don't know better and spur posts like these that further create a 'chickens-can't-handle-cold-temperatures' hysteria.

You've got some good advice here -- pay attention to your chickens, know their individual needs and provide for them. Absolutely, but don't misunderstand -- most chickens are more than capable of withstanding incredibly low temperatures with only very basic accommodations.
You know what, you're pretty ignorant. I'm a chicken rescuer in Michigan. And YES chickens do freeze to death in cold weather. Don't be feeding people the wrong information if your not a professional

You know what, you're pretty ignorant. I'm a chicken rescuer in Michigan. And YES chickens do freeze to death in cold weather. Don't be feeding people the wrong information if your not a professional
I am a professional. You need to cool your jets. Outside of very few tropical breeds, that have exposed extremities, such as the Indio Gigante, chickens can withstand extreme temperatures, as the individual you were wrongfully berating stated. I would even argue that these tropical breeds could survive sub 0 temps, but wouldn't test them personally, as they aren't really bred or used for egg production, which is the subject hen here.

If you are really trying to convince people that there is a risk of your chickens freezing to death without coddling them to no end, you are ignorant and doing a disservice.

The key is to provide ample food and clean water throughout daylight hours. That is ALL you need. There is no evidence that hens will freeze to death if provided this in daylight. If they are freezing to death, it's due to not providing them simple food and water. Period.

Olive hill, is right I have a lone rooster who refuses to get caught, he is out in the cold, we had -15 today, no shelter but what ever he can find, and from what i can see all he has is a little frost bite on his comb, he's a bantam cochin, i leave feed out for him and water its not heated no way to do it
Have a lone chicken as well unfortunately she’s spoiled rotten because she has a special little crate she sleeps in inside the house because of this 🙄 it’s not even below freezing here! I just feel bad for her 🤣 but I’m glad to know even if I did leave her out she’d be ok!

I live in a pretty moderate place where it never dips below freezing really but when it does get to cold temperatures one of my favorite cheaper alternatives I do is take a big coke jug and filling it with really hot water, wrapping it in a towel, and leaving it in the coop and my chickens will all cuddle up to it. I only change it maybe twice a night really and it stays warm for quite awhile

Guys, this thread is 12 years old. Even the last entries before today are from 8 months ago. So that quarrel up there has cooled down long ago. Time to start a new thread with more relevant information, if people still want to discuss freezing chickens in 2023.

Back
Top Bottom