Please take this short survey about your chickens!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by sofiad, Nov 21, 2013.

1. sofiad

sofiad New Egg

Nov 21, 2013
    Maryland
    Hi BYC! My name is Sofia and I am a sophomore college student currently writing a paper on urban/suburban chicken keeping. I'd like a little bit of primary source information, so if you could post your response to this survey below I would really appreciate it!! Message me if you have any questions.

1. Why did you decide to get backyard chickens?
    2. Do you consider your chickens pets and part of the family or "just chickens"? Why?
    3. Where do you live? (ex. suburban neighborhood, in a city, etc.)
    4. What are your chickens' living situation? (ex. description of their coop)
    5. Do your chickens have names and personalities? What are they like?
    6. Do you do anything with your chickens that you would do with a family dog/cat? (ex. take them on walks, cuddle them, etc.)
    7. What do you do with your chickens once they are done laying? (do you keep them until they die naturally, euthanize, etc.)
    8. Do you take your chickens in for vet care? How often and for what kind of care?
    9. Do you profit at all from your chickens? (ex. selling eggs, etc.)
    10. Do you get the general impression that most backyard chicken owners you know consider their chickens pets or "just chickens"?

Thank you so much!!!

-Sofia

2. Cluky

Cluky Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Chicago
    1. decided to keep chickens because I wanted children to learn where food comes from.
    2. both. we have one that is pet. she is too much like parrot to be considered a chicken. rest just chickens. once again they are food :)
    3.we have a coop under the porch with enclosed run. they getting fee range when someone is home to watch over them. coop is dry with sand bedding and straw. no heat
    4. every one of them have personalities. believe it or not some are smarter/dumber then others. we have one that hates chickens and loves spending time with me and our cats. yes try have names.
    5. we do not cuddle...once again... barn animals :). but we do love to watch them free range
    6. most but two will become
    food. the two will be my broodies
    7 no
    8 no
    9 just chickens but do treat tem with respect

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by