Please tell me boy bunnies dominate one another

Goat_Walker

I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady
11 Years
Jul 9, 2008
Maryland
Well my boy rabbits have been getting along great so i put them outside in a corral together while i supervised.

The one bunny is for sure a male - no doubt what so ever - but the second rabbit is a recent resuce and he was vet checked by the person who brought him to me and the vet said he was a boy. I checked for testicles and was sure i found them but his fur is so thick and woolly that now im not so sure since i caught my rabbit mounting him.

Please tell me this is a dominance thing and im not mistaken with the gender!

We bought two bunnies once for the kids. The pet store person said he didn't know whether they were boys or girls, but they were the same, whichever. I noticed one bunny mounting the other one, and thought it was a little strange. Then one bun started pulling out fur so I separated them, thinking one was sick. I woke up the next morning to five baby bunnies. Unfortunately none of them lived; the mother wouldn't care for them. I still have the scar where she bit me when I pulled the last little body out. I told her it was a little late to develop motherly feelings. Bunnies lived separately from then on.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Ugh, well i hope the vet was right. im keeping a close eye on Gandalph - The boy who was mounted, lol. Ive added a few more acessories to 'his' cage just in case though

I have 2 mini lops( one is a rex cross) mother and daughter they get along fine unless I put them back in thier cage mom will mount the daughter they have done this for year without issues,let them out and they are unseperatable.

If mounting is all that is happening, you are lucky - most male rabbits fight with other bucks, and that can get really ugly really fast!

Excited rabbits will ride all manner of things, particularly if they are young bucks (another rabbit breeder told me she had a pair of bunny slippers that needed therapy, thanks to her young buck!
lol.png
)

When cold or scared, a buck can pull his testicles back into his body, so the mere fact that you can't find them doesn't mean they aren't there. Even if the testicles are retracted, there should be an extra bit of loose skin where they should be. Bare spots don't count.

How old are these guys? I have seen some very experienced rabbit breeders make mistakes on very young animals, but (barring a genetic defect) it's pretty hard to miss on an animal that is 12 weeks or older, once you know what you are looking for.

My daughters female rabbits would mount each other all the time and I was told it was a dominance thing they do which makes sense because neutered dogs will do the same thing, but I'm with you on watching just to make sure the vet wasn't wrong....GOOD LUCK
smile.png

He he I have a khaki drake named Gandalph......... I recently had a litter of bunnies born here. After a few weeks I seperated all the males and females into 2 seperate cages......Everyone mounted everyone...mainly the boys..They also fought alot........Im glad i dont have rabbits anymore!

Heh, I had the same thing happen and people told me the same thing...it was my little brother's rabbit and my male rabbit...I had left the rabbit over at my mother's house one day for the rabbits to play and guess what happened...my mother winds up calling me at work one day because there are more bunnies! Turns out whoever told my brother his was a male was wrong! Hope this isn't the case for you!

Back
Top Bottom