Please tell me these are gonna end up hens!

Quote:
Yes I do, and a picture of the final chick:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/92420_dscn4269.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/92420_dscn4268.jpg

The "girls" look nothing like the "boys" but the girls combs are starting to get larger and a little pinker, plus the tail feathers are starting to round. They were "free" chicks from Ace Hardware when you bought a 50lb bag of chick starter and I was told they are almost always boys so I was so afraid I'd end up with all roos. Thanks!

The one in that back is a girl, the other 2 red guys are boys for sure if there the same age? Top Picture is a little girl too.

Well you lucked out. LOL because all but 2 are girls! yay! also Leghorns IMO is early maturers anyway but they shouldn't get full on red til almost laying, pinky is very normal! then laying age and "POOF" there they are!

Quote:
Yay! Thank you! You told me just what I was hoping to hear. I started out with 7 but a puppy we had got a hold of one when I ran insdie really quick and the neighbors dog got the other one. But I've got 3 girls out of the bunch, and 5 more chicks in the brooder so here's hoping for more girls.

When do leghorns usually start laying?

What came first the chicken feed or the chicks?? Interesting offer. You don't need chicken feed UNTIL they throw in free chicks.

Quote:
Exactly! Lol. Its a promotion they do every year the weekend before Easter. I wanted to get them last year but DH told me no, this year I found BYC when they posted their sign about it a few weeks prior and started my research! And come April 16th I was bringing home my first chickens!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Yay! Thank you! You told me just what I was hoping to hear. I started out with 7 but a puppy we had got a hold of one when I ran insdie really quick and the neighbors dog got the other one. But I've got 3 girls out of the bunch, and 5 more chicks in the brooder so here's hoping for more girls.

When do leghorns usually start laying?

Pretty sure Blossom ( white leghorn)and her girls (mixed daughters) all started laying at 18 weeks, the girls must have gotten that from there mom.

Back
Top Bottom