PLEASE tell me this isn't a cockerel!!!!

I think it looks like a male but with that being said I don't see any saddle feathers. Hens have saddle feathers too they just are not pointed. The bird hardly even has a tail, I don't understand where people are seeing these saddle feathers tbh lol. I really don't see any shine in the hackle feathers either. I've been tricked by Wyandottes and brahmas before where for some reason the birds waddles and comb get reddish and grow slightly but then it stops and the bird turns out to be a hen. The one year I thought all my wyandottes were going to be cockerels and they ended up all being pullets. I still think it's a cockerel but that's no 100% answer. @_Moon_ could definitly end up being correct. Give it a few weeks and you will have a better chance of knowing for sure, OP.

Chick mama Jessica - I’d wait on that bird until saddle feathers come in. I had a poorly colored light Brahma last year that had the same redness and development, but is definitely a girl!
I agree, but actually, that bird is definitely male- dark Brahmas are gender deviant when it comes to color. That one’s a boy. :)

Back
Top Bottom