Please tell me what happened**Update 6/17**

How very sad for you.
hit.gif
It's hard for me to believe that one rat could catch and kill five chicks without leaving any fuzz or blood. Same with a snake who, unless very large, would probably eat only one at a time.

I hope you solve this mystery soon.
hu.gif
It sounds like were enjoying you new little brood.
jumpy.gif

I know...it's all really strange and so sad.

Yes, I was really enjoying them and starting to come up with names based on their behavior and subtle color differences.

Now, I have to wait 2 months to get my new checks. *sigh*

I just feel so bad for those poor little babies.......I just hope it was quick.

Wow I don't know how anything got through there without leaving some evidence. This is turning into quite a mystery.
hu.gif

ETA that is you can't afford a video monitor to watch them an inexpensive option might be a baby monitor to hear if they start peeping alarmingly. Just an idea.......

Last edited:
I know!! Now, do you all see why I am completely baffled!!

It's just plain weird...twlight zone kind of weird.
hmm.png

I looked at the pics too and that is unreal that something could have taken those babies out without any signs. Are there any weasels around, they fit in and out of amazingly small spaces without too much of a problem? How much time passed before you knew your chicks were missing? It is just so strange, all five of them!!!!! I live in an old farmhouse too and we have had some strange invasions. When you live in the country there are so many critters roaming around.

Quote:
That is the part that leaves us scratching our heads!

I mean I saw them in the morning around 8:00- changed water, checked food, and held each one. I had to bring my son to music class for 10:30 and run some errands in the city so I missed the afternoon viewing. Our company came over at 3:00 and I brought them downstairs at about 3:15. They were all gone.

Can you imagine walking downstairs calling to the girls and seeing an empty cage?

I am not sure about weasels but I wouldn't doubt it. There is every animal under the sun out here in New England. But, I don't know how one would get in unless it somehow found a way to get into that dirt crawlspace.

I just don't get it........

Do you think someone might be playing a joke on you? Maybe they plan to put them back, when you are away. Maybe some friend or family member that has a key, and knew you would be gone. Just a guess.

Pam

Wow - your brooder looks pretty secure. I know rats and weasels can fit in pretty tight spaces, but to not leave any trace.
idunno.gif
I'm kind of leaning toward the human thing too.

Please keep us updated if you figure out the mystery. So sorry for your loss
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom