Please tips on my dirt floor coop&nesting problems

tbridegroom

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 11, 2011
Knox, In ( near Valparaiso)
I just bought a house i had a coop at my old house with wood floor so it was simple to keep clean the new house had a coop in the horse barn... the floor is dirt idk which way to take care of it just though straw down then rake it up and put new down every month or so or try the DLM.... and also i have to shelves with 2 milk crates for nesting boxes they refuse to lay in them i put a golf ball in one to try and get them to but they still dont they lay all 4 eggs in a corner idk im out of ideas

They may be afraid of the crates. I only put straw in my nesting boxes, not the whole coop. They figured it out immediately. Build a box where they do lay, big enough so they are comfortable. Sometimes my girls cram themselves into the same box, it''s a funny sight when they have 3 to pick from.

they lay 95% of the time literally in the corner right next to the door i dont even have to step in the coop to get the eggs...everyonce in awhile theyll lay under the roosting latter witch they also dont use they roost in the rafters.......if i put the milkcrate in the corner on the floor for a week or so then put it back will they go in it ??? and could it be they are just open crates should i try to make them dark and cozy?

I made my nesting boxes darker than the rest of the coop, and made the opening smaller to the boxes. Maybe the milk crates have a funny smell on them? Perhaps try a cardboard box with some straw in it?

Last edited:
I've never had much problem with birds using the nest boxes; have never needed fake eggs or anything, they just seem to like it. Are they the small milk crates or the double size ones? Might be too small. Also maybe too open. Mine are wood boxes that hang through the outside wall with a hinged lid so I can get the eggs from outside. about 12x18" and 14" tall at the front and 12 at the back. Set with the bottom about 18-24" above the floor.

I use DLM, straw, shredded paper, leaves, wood chips, whatever I can get. Fork over any badly soil spots weekly and toss in some fresh litter as needed.

Back
Top Bottom