Pleased with my neigborhood

vfem

Yoga...The Chicken Pose
11 Years
Aug 4, 2008
Fuquay Varina, NC
I've read so many horror stories about neighbors and feuds here and from my parents. I have to say I am pleased where I am now. No restrictions, no covenants and NO HOA!!!

But just being nice, I ask if things would bother them. We've done a ton of work on the house, and my husband makes noise at all hours. Then there is the new dog and of course the chickens! How it worries me what they think, or what they will think when the rooster starts to crow (14 weeks and all he does is PEEP
roll.png
).

While I was out of town I was talking to my husband while he was building the coop in the backyard. He hurried me off the phone because our neighbor from across the street came over to talk to him.

I got nervous! Were the chickens roaming around bothering him? Was it my husband constant sawing and the loud nail guns?!

No, he just came by to make mention how much he and his wife LOVED fresh chicken eggs. HINT HINT!

Apparently, my neighbor 2 down from us cut back on their chickens alot, and their duck was killed or stolen a couple summers ago. They were getting duck eggs and chicken eggs weekly and now miss them so much. With the economy the way it is, they would like to 'share' with us and perhaps start getting some eggs.

I've got some basil plants in pots I'm going to give them, and I'll slap them a dozen eggs next week. I think my husband is going to try to get a bucket of primer for the coop off of them!

AND the neighbors on the other side of us (who think my silkies are ducks and don't understand why they don't sound like ducks! LOL) are going to pay my husband to build their deck for them, because they are in love with ours he built! Just in time too, hubby is getting laid off on friday. Not happy times....

I think we moved to the most wonderful country area I've ever been so lucky to find. I just had to voice how happy I am with how hard things are going to become
smile.png

Last edited:
A happy story
big_smile.png
. I am glad for you, no one needs added stress
wink.png
. I am soooo hopeful that the sun will continue to shine down on you!
cool.png

Last edited:
Sounds like you have great neigbors.

I can't say that for my'm. If we didn't have things locked up they would be gone. I try to get along with them.

And the wife told me she loves to watch my chickens on the top of the rocks in our yard. I didn't even know they went up there.

Other then the fact the husband drives on our land and takes wood he should not take, and not only from us but other neigbors, they are ok.

My DH got upset when I told him but I said he needs to keep his family warm too.

Can we move close to you? LOL

I can see where you are coming from. I thought that maybe my neighbors would have hated my hens being in the same space as them. It turns out I have two roos as well and the neighbors all smile and tell me how much they love to hear the roos crowing and they love the hens walking around their yards when I let them out. We just got lucky I guess.

I know it's hard when you lose an income but it looks like hubby has made a nice impression on people and he just might be kept busy all winter with odd jobs. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

It's a wonderful thing to have great neighbors. I have terrible ones. They have three dogs and when a stray kitten got into their yard they were telling the dogs to get it. I was very upset and kept trying to get the kitten out of their yard so I could find it a home. (no use trying to talk to them they are just plain evil and trashy, I've tried discussing things with them before). Unfortunatly we didnt accomplish getting the kitten and the next day it was no where to be seen, I have a good feeling the dogs got to it. Keep being very friendly with those great neighbors because there are too many bad ones out there.

Isn't it wonderful to live around people who pull together?? Who try to understand were each other is coming from?? It is truly a gift,,and must be rewarded. What better gift than fresh eggs!! It shows you care,,,,, Great work!!!,,,,,,,
D.gif
ya.gif
thumbsup.gif

My neighborhood is so-so, I'm so glad our neighbors left but they still own the house and rent it to their son but they keep it cleaner, don't have a dog that starts fights through the fence or chew up garbage, which was hardly ever cleaned up and then they would mow and garbage would shoot everywhere. The lady that lives next to them,Jan, has six dogs, and the limit for any type of animal here is 4, but she keeps her yard cleaner than they did, and her dogs barked less then their 2 dogs. They also left their dogs out all winter, they are pitbulls and one was just a puppy, I should have taken them or called animal control. We gave them treats and water through the fence. Jan can see in their yard because her fence is chain link and she said she hardly ever saw anything so she fed and watered them.
She also said their house was dirty. She said there was an exterminator truck there a couple times a year, and after that she noticed a lot of bugs and mice in her house. I never noticed much, my mom did, but this year since they moved we have had a lot of mice, just yesterday we found 3 dead mice-my cat is a good mouser, even though shes lazy and fat.
They have had a wood pile against the fence for the past 2 years and I know there are mice and snakes living in it, I don't it that much but what if they decide to move all of it one day, there are going to be a lot of critters and nasty bugs everywhere.
Today the neighbor across the alley decided to go crazy hammering part of a shed they tore down, he did it at 6a.m this morning, he couldn't wait till the afternoon when most people are awake.

Neighbors can be real 'you know whats' in many instances. My mom got a complaint on her because they said my mom's cats were pooing on their porch. When in fact it was some stray kittens that have been living under their trailer.... and my mom pointed them out to them. They also have 5 rat terriors that are out in a run all day and bark constantly at all hours. They defend their dogs says my nephew teases them from their yard and gets them all wound up.

Its just not a happy place for her anymore.

As for where I used to live... lets just say, my husbands car got stolen out of the parking lot, our apartment had been broken into, there were gun shots about every other month, and one night a fight broke out at 2am outside my sleeping 6 month old's window! I had to run in and grab her out of a dead sleep and run her into the kitchen while my husband called the cops. My neighbors always came by asking for a beer or a smoke at ALL hours for years. I knew true misery those years we were there saving every penny we could.

Now I'm happy, and I'm grateful!!!!

**Grateful Dance**

Back
Top Bottom