Pleeease be hens!!

Aussienewbie

Hatching
Aug 5, 2016
Needing help to make sure our last 2 "iffy" chooks are hens not roosters. They are 15 weeks old, and it is the white sussex and Plymouth Rock I want to make sure of, I'm assuming all the others are hens. Any help appreciated!!!

The Sussex are hens, the Barred Rock is a cockerel.

Heritage Barred Rocks (vs. production Rocks) take forever to grow, but can be sexed because their color is sex-linkable. The males will have wider white bars and yellow shanks. The pullets will have wider black bars and darker shanks. Your cockerel may not have saddle and hackle feathers yet, but his tail is already rounding.

Last edited:

Heritage Barred Rocks (vs. production Rocks) take forever to grow, but can be sexed because their color is sex-linkable. The males will have wider white bars and yellow shanks. The pullets will have wider black bars and darker shanks. Your cockerel may not have saddle and hackle feathers yet, but his tail is already rounding.
Agreed

I'm sticking with both pullets. By four months every cockerel I've ever had has had at least something going on in the spur area as well as hackle and saddle feathers. I don't see anything male about this bird except a slight curl to the short and even tail feathers. I've never seen a single combed cockerel at 4 months old with that tiny of comb & waddles. If it does eventually grow the rest of the male characteristics and is a cockerel, I wouldn't keep it. I wouldn't want such retarded growth in future birds.

x3

Hi! Hope you could help. Bought New Hamphire Reds, born roughly on April 10th. Hoping this is a Hen however she is definitely the more dominate one, hoping she is just a bit order then the others.
[/IMG]

Thanks! What are your thoughts?

Hi! Hope you could help. Bought New Hamphire Reds, born roughly on April 10th. Hoping this is a Hen however she is definitely the more dominate one, hoping she is just a bit order then the others.
[/URL]

Thanks! What are your thoughts?
Looks to be a pullet.

Back
Top Bottom