Plese answer silkie questions!!!!!!

Freeranger

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 11, 2009
How often do silkies go broody? Are they good layers? How many eggs do they usually set on? Are there any other breeds that are more broody than the silkie???

Please answer if you know!!!

I had a sizzle just get off of 11 eggs eight hatched and the others were newer so they went in bator. Silkies will go broody I have one on 6 ee eggs and that is about all she can sit on. Hope this helps

my silkies are great layers when they aren't broody
lau.gif
they also will set on anything, think of a silkie on a goose egg, her choice not mine.
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
The best mamas I have (silkie cross too)

I have a silkie/OEG mix hen, so not only is she extremely broody, but she is medium sized too!! She was hatched in January of '08, and this is her 3rd time of being broody! She hatched 7 chicks the first time (brooded 13 though!), 8 chicks the 2nd time, and now she has 8 eggs under her again. She had 9, but evidently one was bad, and she took it out. Either that, or my silly OEG hen was trying to nest share and broke it. Either way, Gertie got rid of the evidence.

Often.

Mine will lay for a couple of weeks, then go broody. There's always one or more silkies just sitting around...
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom