Plexiglass windows to look like windows with panes

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jerseycoop, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Hello. Looking for tips on how to adhere wood trimming to plexiglass so my windows will look like a like a "real" glass window with panes. I'm going to hardcloth the inside so I may open the plexiglass window up by attching a hook and eye onto the window and coop...any suggestions? [​IMG]

2. BlueBetween

BlueBetween Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Near Seattle
    we drilled holes into ours, then screwed it to the frame, and then silicone sealed it. Basically the door is two frames, one with hardwire, one with plexiglass. I still have to put a hook and eye or something on it to keep it from blowing around when it's open. To make the "panes" you can just make an insert and attach it over the glass - little nail or staple to the frame, not the plexiglass.

[​IMG]

3. Jerseycoop

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    That is awesome! Very nice coop! What would you suggest to use if you wanted the pane to look like it had grills... Glue? Thanks for your help
    [​IMG]

4. BlueBetween

BlueBetween Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Near Seattle
    I would make the insert (grills) and then tack them to the frame with a small finish nail or something - it doesn't have to be glued to the glass. It would be great if it was removable so you can wash the window easier!

5. Jerseycoop

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    You bring up a good point to be able to wash the windows. [​IMG] I'm wondering if velcro would work for the insert grill look? Might give that a try.... Thanks much you were a huge help! [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Blue Between what a great coop and I love that color - so cool and peaceful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by