Pls help! Drafty coop caused frostbite!

Cee

Songster
6 Years
Nov 3, 2017
Albuquerque, NM
Our cockerels have mild frostbite. I feel terrible.
This is the first coop and run we've built.
When we did, we didn't consider the cold New Mexico winters or DRAFTS. We messed up. The roosts above the poop boards are in front of a big opening covered in hardware cloth😳. I stapled some plastic over it today but left a thin strip at the very top for ventilation (see before and afters) .
There are wooden covers over the windows cut out and covered in hardware cloth. They were propped open during spring and summer but now they don't shut all the way and I worry that they may be making more drafts hitting my chickens.
I need the coop to be ventilated properly and draft free.
Please see pics and help me out? I'm worried about these chickens.

Attachments

• 20201027_121512.jpg
    20201027_121512.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 20201028_172359.jpg
    20201028_172359.jpg
    831.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 20201028_170759.jpg
    20201028_170759.jpg
    615.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 20201028_125657.jpg
    20201028_125657.jpg
    570.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 20201028_125649.jpg
    20201028_125649.jpg
    528.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 20201028_125709.jpg
    20201028_125709.jpg
    633.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 20201028_125208.jpg
    20201028_125208.jpg
    825 KB · Views: 37
  • 20201028_134143.jpg
    20201028_134143.jpg
    553.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
You have a nice coop setup, and the summer ventilation is ideal. I copied and marked on pix points to consider.
image_2020-10-29_013905.png

The vent area labeled A, is just fine, and should stay open. Where I made an arrow with a B, I don't know if that eve is opened like opposite one marked A??
If there is no vent in area B, then it would be good to create one there. High up at roof line/eve. Cross ventilation at the roof line is what to aim for. High above the chickens heads.
The 2 circles marked C, do not look critical, but if you do feel a considerable draft coming during strong winds, you can try to stuff some crumbled newspapers between the HC and outside board.

I see that you stapled some plastic over the large opening. That is GOOD, but I suggest you get some CLEAR Plastic, and replace. The light it provides inside coop is important.

The frostbite on the combs is nasty. Just let it work itself, and tips will eventually fall off. No need to intervene. There is nothing to do at this point.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

You have a nice coop setup, and the summer ventilation is ideal. I copied and marked on pix points to consider.
View attachment 2391410
The vent area labeled A, is just fine, and should stay open. Where I made an arrow with a B, I don't know if that eve is opened like opposite one marked A??
If there is no vent in area B, then it would be good to create one there. High up at roof line/eve. Cross ventilation at the roof line is what to aim for. High above the chickens heads.
The 2 circles marked C, do not look critical, but if you do feel a considerable draft coming during strong winds, you can try to stuff some crumbled newspapers between the HC and outside board.

I see that you stapled some plastic over the large opening. That is GOOD, but I suggest you get some CLEAR Plastic, and replace. The light it provides inside coop is important.

The frostbite on the combs is nasty. Just let it work itself, and tips will eventually fall off. No need to intervene. There is nothing to do at this point.
Th
View attachment 2391410

I gave an example in the pics below of the windows marked C below. They have hinges on the top and open to a hardware cloth. I'd just prop them open with a piece of wood.
I could go around back and install a hook and eye to shut them more tightly.
The coop is built against the side of a tool shed so there isn't a way to create cross ventilation there.
I'm concerned at this point that there isn't enough ventilation.
I've read about the humidity building up and causing the ammonia to build and cause respiratory problems. As well as more frostbite.
Any other ideas to increase ventilation?
Thank you so much for responding.

Attachments

• 20201029_063244.jpg
    20201029_063244.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 20201029_063318.jpg
    20201029_063318.jpg
    648.8 KB · Views: 29
A quick solution is to leave this wood cover open,,,,,,BUT portion in blue stays open. Portion I scribbled in RED , cover over stapled with clear plastic. This way ,,, EXTRA DAYLIGHT,, and open ventilation well above chickens heads. Try it and see if there is ammonia smell buildup. Then you will need more venting. I can also recommend roof vents , if you think you need more.
image_2020-10-29_173239.png

1604011137072.png

A quick solution is to leave this wood cover open,,,,,,BUT portion in blue stays open. Portion I scribbled in RED , cover over stapled with clear plastic. This way ,,, EXTRA DAYLIGHT,, and open ventilation well above chickens heads. Try it and see if there is ammonia smell buildup. Then you will need more venting. I can also recommend roof vents , if you think you need more.
View attachment 2392029

View attachment 2392049
What a great idea💡!
I'll try it!

Th

I gave an example in the pics below of the windows marked C below. They have hinges on the top and open to a hardware cloth. I'd just prop them open with a piece of wood.
I could go around back and install a hook and eye to shut them more tightly.
The coop is built against the side of a tool shed so there isn't a way to create cross ventilation there.
I'm concerned at this point that there isn't enough ventilation.
I've read about the humidity building up and causing the ammonia to build and cause respiratory problems. As well as more frostbite.
Any other ideas to increase ventilation?
Thank you so much for responding.
The second photo looks like about half of the screen is covered ?

I think that is all you need, think top of heads of roosting chickens and add aboit 3 inches.

Huge combs and cold temperatures, even in ideal coops, will result in frostbite. :idunno

The frostbite in the photos doesn't look too bad... should heal up perfectly fine.

The second photo looks like about half of the screen is covered ?

I think that is all you need, think top of heads of roosting chickens and add aboit 3 inches.

Huge combs and cold temperatures, even in ideal coops, will result in frostbite. :idunno

The frostbite in the photos doesn't look too bad... should heal up perfectly fine.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom